Williams arrived at the year's final grand slam with concerns swirling around a sore shoulder that hampered her at the Rio Olympics and forced her to pull out of a tournament in Cincinnati.
Serena Williams chalked up a record-breaking 307th career Grand Slam victory to book her place in the US Open last 16 with victory over Johanna Larsson.
"I think that's really important for that young girl that's growing up", she added. For me, one of the best players to ever play tennis.
"I don't know how I came back. I just say all the time, at every point, that I have another chance to get back and to win the match".
Really? This performance didn't seem OK? Her fastest serve Saturday was 121 miles per hour, and she saved the only break point she faced against Larsson. She compiled a 38-4 edge in winners.
With the win the American great made her place in the round of 16.
Yes, there were problems.
In the years after it was revealed in 2011 Williams had the autoimmune disease Sjogren's syndrome, she struggled often in majors. "Hopefully we'll have a good match".
"It's definitely different because everywhere you play is really quiet". She showed little evidence of a sore shoulder, and shorter matches are all the better for the women's No. 1 seed. Navratilova retired with a 306-49 mark.
Radwanska will be in her Round of 16 match against Ana Konjuh on Monday.
The one opponent set to face Serena if her winning play continues, her sister Venus.
The Olympic Games silver medalist, who won the Flushing Meadows Grand Slam in 2009, continued his fine comeback from a series of wrist injuries with a 7-6 6-2 6-3 win over the Spaniard.
She had just 17 unforced errors - in complete contrast to the whopping 63 in her first-round win. Angelique Kerber, the No. 2 seed, could overtake Williams at No. 1 if the two meet in the final (seemingly a probability) and Kerber wins.
The 2009 champion in NY missed 2 1/2 years' worth of major tournaments because of three operations on his left wrist, and he's ranked only 142nd, which is why he needed a wild-card invitation to get into the field.
The second-seeded Murray beat Marcel Granollers 6-4, 6-1, 6-4 on Thursday under the roof at Arthur Ashe Stadium with play suspended on the outer courts.
- NASA's Juno probe snaps first images of Jupiter's north pole
- Google worker found killed in MA woods, police urge caution
- Donald Trump Takes The Lead Again — UPI/CVoter poll
- Donald Trump releases his first campaign TV ad
- Trump's doctor says he wrote note in five minutes
- Drake and Rihanna: A History of Their Relationship
- Ex-NFL star gets 18 years for drugging, raping women
- Trump keeps saying all the wrong things to 'the blacks'
- Dwayne Johnson leaves Vin Diesel out of Fast 8 thank you list
- United States presidential poll: Trump up two points over Clinton