Multiple senior law enforcement officials and an NYPD spokesperson early Monday identified Ahmad Rahami of Elizabeth, New Jersey, as the suspect. 29 people were injured from the Chelsea explosion; all have been released from the hospital. The explosion took place shortly before 1 a.m. EDT.
Police have detonated a suspicious package near a New Jersey train station following concerns that it might contain a live explosive device, the city's mayor says. Bollwage added that it was unclear whether Elizabeth, a city comprising 130,000 people less than 15 miles off of Manhattan, was an intended target or a drop off point used to elude investigators.
The FBI's NY branch tweeted that officers "did a traffic stop of a vehicle of interest" but no one had been charged with any crime. Five people were being questioned by the Federal Bureau of Investigation early Monday, officials said.
Cuomo said the investigation is ongoing, and "I wouldn't be surprised if it zeroes in on a particular individual, today even", and that he "wouldn't be surprised if we found a foreign connection to the act".
Northeast Corridor and New Jersey Coastline trains resumed regular weekday service at 5:30 a.m. Monday after police activity cleared in Elizabeth, but passengers should expect delays, according to a New Jersey Transit alert. He said the unexploded pressure cooker device appeared "similar in design" to the first bomb, but did not provide details.
According to NBC News, law enforcement officials are concerned that there may be an active terror cell in the area of NY and New Jersey.
It was one of five potential explosive devices that tumbled out of the backpack when it was emptied. All three devices apparently contained old-style mobile flip phones, according to officials familiar with the probe.
He is believed to be a New Jersey resident.
Police presence and security at all bridges and tunnels, the PATH commuter train, Newark Liberty International and New York City's two major airports, as well as the World Trade Center, already was being increased following the incidents Saturday, NJ.com reported.
Authorities have identified a suspect in the Manhattan explosion case as a 28-year-old New Jersey resident of Afghan descent who may be armed and risky, New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio said on Monday.
- United and City looking to create El Classico in Manchester
- Donald Trump Attacks African American Pastor Who Cut Off His Political Attacks
- New twist in Chris Brown drama
- Beyonce & Rihanna Got Most Social Buzz During MTV VMAs
- Donald Trump releases his first campaign TV ad
- Hillary Clinton Responds to Donald Trump's Message to African American Voters
- Alicia Keys Goes Au Naturel (Again) On 'Today' Show
- NASA's Juno probe snaps first images of Jupiter's north pole
- Trump keeps saying all the wrong things to 'the blacks'
- Latest presidential poll: Military overwhelmingly choosing Donald Trump over Hillary Clinton