Missiles fired at USA warship near Yemen in third such incident

Monday, 24 Oct, 2016

A US warship fired Tomahawks missiles into Yemen in retaliation on Wednesday, destroying three radar sites that defense officials believe played a role in the earlier attacks.

The rockets fired at the USS Mason on Sunday and again Wednesday was believed to be the first time since 1987 that a United States warship has been targeted by an incoming missile.

Pentagon spokesperson Peter Cook said at the time that the USA counterstrikes were not connected to the broader civil war in Yemen, which has killed more than 10,000 people since March 2015 and unleashed starvation in the poor country. From in-car vacuums to smart phone parking, vehicle owners are in for a whole host of new technology that is helping to drive them into the future.

It was the third unsuccessful attack on a U.S. warship, which United States officials say are emanating from Houthi held parts of Yemen, in little more than a week.

Two American prisoners held captive by Yemen Houthi rebels have been released and taken to neighboring Oman after Omani officials mediated their release, US Secretary of State John Kerry said on Saturday.

The conflict in Yemen pits forces loyal to the internationally recognized government of President Abdrabbuh Mansour Hadi against Houthi rebels.

The Houthis, a Shiite rebel group that controls Yemen's capital, San'a, denied targeting the USS Mason and condemned the USA strikes on the radar sites.

The coalition's acknowledgment that it wrongly hit the funeral "does not clear its leadership of violating the worldwide humanitarian law and all humanitarian norms and conventions", said the rebel-controlled foreign ministry.

The US responded by bombing three Houthi radar sites in the first direct US strike against the group. Oman, the only GCC country not participating in the Saudi-led coalition, has been key to helping free hostages held by the rebels, including an American journalist released earlier this year and five other Americans released late last year.

Earlier this week, the Houthi rebels denied responsibility for the attacks against the Mason and said that they too would defend themselves. "Consular officers from the U.S. Embassy in Muscat stand ready to provide all possible consular assistance".

A Saudi-led coalition warplane bombed a crowded funeral hall in Yemen's capital Sanaa last week.

The Saudi-led coalition fighting rebels in Yemen said it will investigate an air raid that killed more than 140 people at a funeral after the U.S. said it was reviewing support for the alliance.