The Ivy League champion Princeton women's golf team was selected to the NCAA Athens Regional Thursday as one of 18 teams seeking six spots to advance to the NCAA Championships. The top six teams from each 18-team regional and the top three individuals from non-qualifying teams advance to the championship.
"We're delighted to be going to Athens", Auburn head coach Melissa Luellen said. We take nothing for granted. "The girls have fought hard all year to have this opportunity and now we have a chance to do something very special".
USC's streak of six NCAA Regional top seeds came to end this year.
Powers, the Spartans' assistant coach, was a part of Slobodnik-Stoll's 2013 team that placed ninth at the NCAA Championships at the UGA Golf Course.
OSU will play in the Albuquerque Regional Site at The Championship Golf Course at UNM in Albuquerque, New Mexico. Since the championship has moved to a stroke play followed by match play, Duke has advanced to the semifinals each season. The final is on May 24. She also tied a school record with a 5-under 67 during the first round of the Las Vegas Collegiate Showdown in October, and finished the tournament with a 6-under 210, the third-best tournament score in school history. It was like the ultimate competition and the girls played with a lot of confidence. "The greens are large and putting will be key".
She has four top-four finishes this season, including a win at the Golfweek Conference Challenge at Red Sky Golf Club in Colorado with a 9-under 207 total, runner-up at the Palmetto Intercollegiate and third at the Edwin Watts Kiawah Island Classic. The Gamecocks have won four regional championships under Anderson, capturing the East Regional in 2010, 2012 and 2015 before finishing atop the Baton Rouge Regional last spring.
This is the 7th time in eight years and 17th overall time that the Lady Raiders are in an NCAA Golf Regional.
- Facebook makes AR push, launches VR app
- O'Reilly Lawyers Mistakenly Send Strategy Emails To Politico
- Warburton to captain Lions as Hartley misses out
- US backtracks on 'armada' sailing towards N. Korea
- Juventus star Khedira to miss first leg of Champions League semi-final
- Bill O'Reilly loses job at Fox News Channel amid harassment allegations
- Two held over plot to disrupt French presidential election
- LeBron James sends Pacers home packing, Oklahoma City takes series lead
- North Korean missile explodes on launch, United States and S. Korea say
- Investigation Continues Into Aaron Hernandez's Death