"It was heartbreaking." If Hunnam got that worked up over Grey, imagine how he feels about turning down a role in Game of Thrones.
Charlie Hunnam says he convinced director Guy Ritchie to cast him as King Arthur after the two bonded over marijuana - talking about it, not indulging in it. Since then, though, audiences have been privy to the underwhelming likes of Jerry Zucker's 1995 First Knight (starring Sean Connery as Arthur) and Antoine Fuqua's 2004 King Arthur (with Clive Owen in the title role).
I could go on about how I cared about Arthur's crew way more than I ever expected to, or how their big chase scene, where they all slide around nearly in unison, is one of the better chases I've seen in forever, but like, if you think this movie looks bad, watching it is certainly not going to dissuade you. This means a lot of quick, clever dialogue mixed with fast paced action, and in the more modern films, a digital looking world.
As Arthur, Hunnam displays little of the authority or magnetism integral to the character, although, to be honest, nobody really stands out in this blasé grouping.
He said: "I was a bit nervous, I thought I would be a bit mullered by the end of it but Aidan stabbed me with his knife on the first day".
One of the biggest treats of watching the film was David Beckham's cameo as an angry solider type. And since "Batman Begins" remains the template for origin-story reboots, "Legend of the Sword" doubles down on traumatized boys and gives Arthur martial-arts training sourced from the Far East (around the climax, Ritchie whips up some special-effects-enhanced sword fu).
Guy replied: "You might have to get Semitic roots, which I'm sure you could find if you dig deep enough".
Deadline notes that the movie's flop shouldn't come as a surprise as the previously made King Arthur movie did not fare well either.
3 out of 5 stars.
Warner Bros.'s King Arthur: Legend of the Sword debuts in theaters this weekend with a highly recognizable plot, a well-known director, and a handful of big-name stars. Running time is 2 hours and 6 minutes.
- Predators get extra rest in this year's playoffs
- Operations cancelled after cyberattack — NHS hospitals hacked
- Experts predict instability in the legislature after BC election
- Isaiah Thomas Downplays Celtics' 'Funeral' Attire: 'I Wear Black All The Time'
- UK working to restore hospital systems after cyberattack
- Man creates ruckus at Kapil Mishra's hunger strike, AAP denies link
- Pentagon: Islamic State's Afghan leader killed in April raid
- Pak based terror groups plan to attack India, Afghan: US intel chief
- Pens take on Senators in Eastern Conference Finals
- At least 74 countries affected in 'biggest ever' cyber attack