In 2015, Marvel Studios unleashed Avengers: Age of Ultron in the first weekend in May, with Captain America: Civil War kicking of the summer movie box office season past year.
Comprising 15 films, the Marvel Cinematic Universe has now grossed $11.3 billion worldwide - far outpacing such franchises as Star Wars, Harry Potter and the Fast and the Furious.
To read or Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol. 2 review, hit the link above.
Guardians 2 launched last week in select global countries, and with the wide release in major markets including China, Japan and Korea this weekend, it has generated a staggering $425 million globally.
Did you go to see Guardians of the Galaxy Vol.2 on its opening weekend?
When it comes to Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3, everyone has been so preoccupied with where said threequel fits into the MCU timeline that few have stopped to ask the question: when, exactly, will James Gunn's trilogy-capper be released?
Returning to deliver more bright colors, wise-cracks and another groovy soundtrack, James Gunn directed and scripted the movie starring Chris Pratt, Zoe Saldana, Dave Bautista, Vin Diesel, and Bradley Cooper as the titular guardians. Overseas, it has done quite a bit more with $698 million at the box office. That would likely slot in Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 for a release sometime in 2020.
Estimated ticket sales for Friday through Sunday at USA and Canadian theaters, according to comScore.
Third place belonged to The Boss Baby, which milked $6.2 million from North American theaters in its sixth weekend. How to be a Latin Lover and Beauty and the Beast round out the top five, respectively.
The film has already made a total worldwide of $428 million, and it's not hard to see why. That is quite an impressive number when compared with how the first film in the Marvel franchise debuted at $98 million.
- Delhi Daredevils vs Royal Challengers Bangalore IPL 2017
- 'Will & Grace' Revival: Watch First Full Trailer for NBC's Reunion Series
- Hospitals remain key targets as ransomware attacks expected to increase
- Shockingly lifelike dinosaur fossil makes public debut
- Melissa McCarthy mocks Sean Spicer with motorized podium
- Will Power completes Penske ideal weekend at INDYCAR GP
- Spurs' Kawhi Leonard ruled out for Game 2 vs Warriors
- Microsoft says cyberattack should be wake up call for governments
- Europol warns of further cyberattacks on Monday morning
- Cyber attack hits 200000 in at least 150 countries: Europol