The incident highlights an increasing number of infections from a parasite found in raw fish that doctors are seeing in Western countries, as sushi dishes rise in popularity, according to a new report.
One recent incident saw a previously healthy 32-year-old Portuguese man left in agony for a week after eating raw fish from a Japanese restaurant.
After questioning him about his symptoms, and discovering that he had eaten sushi recently, they quickly became concerned that he could be suffering from a parasitic infection called anisakiasis, where worms take over the intestinal lining of the stomach.
Anisakiasis is a parasitic disease caused by anisakid nematodes (worms) that can invade the stomach wall or intestine of humans. It was a lot less freaky to eat raw fish of such high quality, but it turns out the cavalier attitude so many of us have about sushi could have serious consequences.
The alarming footage of a worm wriggling around in the lining of the man's gut was captured by an endoscope inserted into his throat.
Two views of the parasite, seen here are strongly attached to the area of the patient's upper digestive tract.
Cases of anisakiasis are more rare in Western countries due to the fact that most dietary fish is cooked, which kills the worms.
"Patients can have allergic symptoms".
Although the CDC does not conduct surveillance of these infections, "rare cases have been identified in the U.S.", spokeswoman Amy Rowland said.
"He was having reflux and severe abdominal pain". The worm was removed with a special net, named Roth net.
Untreated gastric disease can lead to chronic, ulcer-like symptoms lasting for weeks to months, Bao said. "It doesn't lay eggs or continuously infect the intestine", Eiras said.
"I would not go to a restaurant with a "C" rating in NY largely for this reason".
That thing's big enough to be a roll ingredient. "They are grossly visible in the fish". Raw fish can be rendered safe if it is frozen before it is sold to consumers (a practice recommended by the European Union); the risks arise where freezing does not happen.
No drug has been identified that can kill the live parasites, but in some cases, surgical removal may be necessary.
- Djokovic and Nadal advance to Madrid semifinals
- Israel releases record of Trump-Netanyahu meeting
- Google Rolling Out 'Smart Reply' Feature To Gmail App
- Michael Carrick "desperate" to win Europa League
- EU Commission says welcomes court ruling on trade deals
- US security adviser says Trump did not cause lapse in national security
- Spurs prepare for Game 2 vs Warriors with no Leonard, Parker
- Ransomware attack should be wake-up call for govts
- Rescued Chibok girls: Pleasant second anniversary gift to Nigerians
- "Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2" is Top Weekend Movie