The Barcelona president, Josep Maria Bartomeu, said: "Valverde has the ability, the judgment, the knowledge and the experience". "He promotes the youth players and he knows the Barcelona way". "Also, he is passionate about applying technology to both training and matches", Bartomeu added.
Barcelona have confirmed Ernesto Valverde as their new manager following Luis Enrique's departure.
It was Barcelona's worst season under Luis Enrique, despite winning two titles, the Spanish Super Cup and the Copa del Rey.
But, after finishing 8th in La Liga last season Valverde has chose to take charge of former club Barcelona, and he now has some big boots to fill, with the club winning nine trophies in the space of just three seasons under Enrique, including that stunning treble in his debut campaign.
The latter part of Bartomeu's comments are interesting to note, as Valverde's predecessor, Luis Enrique, was given a lot of flak for not playing the "Barca" way i.e. dominate teams with handsome football. In the last four seasons under Valverde, Bilbao never finished lower than seventh in the La Liga table.
However, in keeping with Valverde's character he felt he couldn't turn his back on Athletic having just been hired weeks before.
Enrique led Barcelona to the treble in his first season, the domestic double in 2016 and the Copa del Rey this year.
And Valverde had identified the 27-year-old as one of the first names on his summer transfer target list, according to Sport. He's made history at the club - he's the coach with the most games.
He also faces a huge task to revitalise a hugely talented yet ageing squad that requires overhaul following a resounding 3-0 aggregate defeat by Juventus in the Champions League quarter-finals and an inconsistent league campaign which surrendered the title to Real Madrid.
- Underdog Cavs insist they have plenty of bite for Finals
- LeBron Undaunted By Challenge Of Facing Warriors In Finals
- Trump scolds fellow NATO leaders: Spend more for military
- What Crimes Could Jared Kushner Have Committed? Judge Nap Weighs In
- Back home after foreign trip, Trump faces slew of challenges
- One Hundred Eighth Graders Boycott Paul Ryan Photo Op
- Ariana Grande planning benefit concert in Manchester
- Jose Bautista blast lifts Jays over Rangers
- National Spelling Bee becoming easier to predict
- Watford v Manchester City preview