This was the first time since 2008 that a team finishing first in the Points-Table has lifted the trophy.
Both the teams were neck and neck by the end of the 15th over with Supergiant on 83 in comparison to Mumbai Indians' 81.
Krunal Pandya proved to be the saviour for the Mumbai team. Smith, however, created the platform by giving the ball to Daniel Christian who conceded 27 runs in the 18th and 20th overs despite he has the overs left from Shardul Thakur. This pair scored 37 runs off the last three overs.
Captain Rohit Sharma helped steady the ship with 24 from 22 balls, but the most important contribution came from Krunal Pandya, who hit two of his side's five sixes in making 47 before being caught off the final ball of the innings.
The Rolling Stones frontman is an avid cricket fan who once bought the rights to use audio from the Sharjah Trophy cricket tournament just so that he could get coverage over the Internet.
Rahane was caught by Pollard in the 12th over, ending his knock with figures of 44 from 38.
Following the loss, Smith reflected on how the defeat was tough to take but was proud of how RPS performed this season as the franchise may have played their last game in the IPL due to the impending returns of Chennai Super Kings and Rajasthan Royals next year.
The 35-year-old Australian struck two crucial blows in the final over to drive Mumbai to a one run victory in Hyderabad on Sunday. MS Dhoni joined Smith and he could not finish the game as was expected. "I could happily rely on him when I needed (him) the most". 4 runs were required off the final ball to which Sundar was run out attempting a third run as MI won.
MI played brilliantly through the tournament and won the final against Rising Pune Supergiants.
Bhuvneshwar Kumar gets the Purple Cap - for topping the bowling charts with 26 wickets.
Sunrises Hyderabad, nonetheless, ended up the season with fourth position obtained Orange Cap for David Warner scoring 641 runs in 14 matches and also Purple Cap for Bhuvaneshwar Kumar taking 26 wickets.
- UN Council To Vote On Blacklisting More North Koreans: Diplomats
- Kerr not well yet, but hasn't ruled himself out for Game 1
- China's Li: fighting climate change is 'global consensus'
- Pope: More Christian martyrs today than in ancient times
- Sturgeon asks voters to help her stop Tory assault on welfare state
- Do the Cavs or Warriors have more at stake?
- May Jobs Growth Numbers Steady but Slight
- Madras HC stays Centre's cattle law
- May, Corbyn clash over Brexit plans with UK vote a week away
- Trump calls for global coalition against terrorism, 'isolation' of Iran