NPR notes that "Trump reportedly asked Director of National Intelligence Dan Coats and the head of the National Security Agency, Adm. Mike Rogers, to state publicly that there was no collusion between Russian Federation and the Trump campaign".
The comments from Clapper, a widely respected intelligence veteran, only adds to the torrent of criticism facing Trump over the Russian Federation investigation.
Clapper also declined to warn America's allies against withholding intelligence in the wake of a series of leaks from the administration, including from Trump himself, saying they had to make decisions that were in their best interests - although he argued the institutional and personal links between Australia and the USA remained strong.
"Ever transactional, he simply asked me to publicly refute the infamous dossier, which of course I couldn't and wouldn't do", Clapper said.
Mr Trump's sharing of sensitive intelligence with the Russians and compromising its source reflected either ignorance or disrespect.
The mere fact that one of the most trusted national security leaders over the past several decades feels as though the Trump-Russia potential collusion is much bigger than Watergate, should give us a good indication of how the Trump administration may come to an end.
"I lived through Watergate", he said.
A constant critic of President Donald Trump, Clapper has chosen his words carefully when under oath during investigations into attempted Russian interference in the 2016 election.
"Is there a smoking gun with all the smoke?" It was in Russia's "genes to be opposed, diametrically opposed, to the United States and western democracies". "What I think will be very significant to see, both what he says, and what he is asked about and doesn't respond to".
He said Australia should deal with China "with both caution and confidence" while never forgetting the importance of its own democratic institutions. Clapper said that, at the institutional level, agencies would be concerned if intelligence sharing was discontinued.
- Klitschko faces must-win bout against Fury
- NSA leak: Russian hackers attacked United States voting system
- Vladimir Putin hits back about claims over Donald Trump and US election
- Dr. Babatunde Osotimehin, head of UNFPA dies
- Can Atleti snatch La Liga's title away from Barca?
- The Right Place for Drug Rehab
- Mom says man injected her with drugs after 'Baby Doe' death
- Lukaku reveals his mind is made up regarding his future
- Oliver Stone: Megyn Kelly didn't know her stuff with Putin
- North Korea 'poses a threat to us all': Mattis