Francisco Delgado III, known as Frankie, had shown symptoms of a stomach bug for several days after going on a family trip to Texas City Dike.
"When she [paramedic] came in, she told us it's what's called 'dry drowning". Symptoms could appear 24 to 48 hours after inhaling water.
"Out of nowhere, he just woke up".
"He touched so many hearts", Tara Delgado, Frankie's mother, said. His official cause of death has not been released.
Paramedics tried to revive the boy, but his lungs had filled with fluid and it was too late, paramedics told the family, Fox News reported.
He said it was premature to say that Frankie's death was the result of an atypical drowning, noting that symptoms of hypoxia, or a lack of oxygen, usually manifest rapidly.
A four-year-old boy in Texas died a week after he went swimming following a rare case of "dry drowning". "There was nothing else they could do for him". Maybe he needs his mama's touch, ' Francisco's mum Tara Delgado said.
Dry drowning happens when water is breathed in and usually affects children due to their small bodies.
His sister, Desiree Sosa, has set up a GoFund me account to help the family with funeral expenses. "They develop respiratory issues hours after the event", said Dr. Leaming-Van Zandt.
Many doctors steer clear of the term "dry drowning" because the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention does not distinguish between "wet" and "dry" drowning. "Drowning is silent. It's not similar to what you see in the movies where there is a lot of commotion".
"So that the children aren't left to spend any amount of time under water", said Alexandra Cramer, the aquatics resource manager for the YMCA of Florida's First Coast.
Twitter users urged parents to read the story and be aware of dry drowning. And you know we grabbed him right away but that was a good lesson, even for me as a parent, that it can be super fast and they're not screaming and splashing. They said Frankie loved playing baseball and eating cheeseburgers.
- Lukaku reveals his mind is made up regarding his future
- Some Twitter users may sue Trump for blocking them
- Legal experts to Trump on travel ban: Twitter hurting cause
- Soon, iPhones will block texts while driving
- Seattle Seahawks Sign Quarterback Austin Davis, Not Colin Kaepernick
- Ariana Grande critic Piers Morgan apologizes to singer
- Real Madrid celebrates 12th European Cup with fans in Spain
- GOP-run House poised to roll back post-2008 financial rules
- Apple Introduces watchOS 4 w/ New Watch Faces and Lots of Features
- Intelligence Leaders Testify Before Senate Panel Hearing