The clay courts of Roland Garros host the second Grand Slam of the season. Murray eliminated No. 8 Kei Nishikori 2-6, 6-1, 7-6 (0), 6-1 on Wednesday, while No. 3 Wawrinka won 6-3, 6-3, 6-1 against No. 7 Marin Cilic. "It's a big challenge but I am up for it".
Shortly before setting out to try and defend the French Open he announced that he had got together with eight-time major champion Andre Agassi, although the American was only in Paris for a week and missed Djokovic's defeat by Thiem. It's not something that comes out in the first week.
"I know I have achieved the greatest heights in the sport". After getting destroyed 7-6, 6-3, 6-0 by Thiem, Djokovic admitted that the match was decided at the end of the tie-breaker in the first set.
"It is what it is and it's an opportunity for me, in a way - some kind of lesson to be learned and to progress in whatever way life wants me to".
Wawrinka's lone worrying moment resulted when he nearly turned an ankle near the net in the last game against Cilic.
Thiem is the second Austrian man to reach multiple grand slam semi-finals after former French Open champion Thomas Muster. That helped Nadal to become the first player to enter the French Open semi-finals for the 10th time.
No. 6 Thiem moved past No. 2 Djokovic and into his second straight semifinal by winning the three sets 7-6 (7-5), 6-3, 6-0.
In a match dubbed "the final before the final", Romanian Simona Halep plays Ukraine's Elina Svitolina. Spain's Rafael Nadal looks at rain clouds in his quarterfinal match against Spain's Pablo Carreno Busta at the French Open tennis tournament at the Roland Garros stadium, in Paris, France.
Nadal gave Carreno Busta a consoling hug at the net.
Spain's Rafael Nadal exercises to keep warm while Spain's Pablo Carreno Busta gets medical attention during their quarterfinal match at the French Open tennis tournament at the Roland Garros stadium, in Paris, France. But what that score does not reveal is that Thiem was weakened having beaten claycourt king Rafa Nadal the previous round.
"Obviously he's played fantastically at this tournament so far".
After squandering two set points in the opener on a blustery Suzanne Lenglen Court, Djokovic's renowned fighting spirit ebbed away quickly and he surrendered the third set in 20 minutes.
- School choir joins Ariana Grande at 'One Love Manchester' benefit concert
- North Korea 'poses a threat to us all': Mattis
- Vladimir Putin hits back about claims over Donald Trump and US election
- NSA leak: Russian hackers attacked United States voting system
- New search underway near home of London Bridge attackers
- Apple Joins Smart-Speaker Race With Music-Focused 'HomePod'
- Investors Catching Stocks Valeant Pharmaceuticals International, Inc. (VRX)
- 'Pirates of the Caribbean' tops box office, 'Baywatch' sinks
- Lukaku reveals his mind is made up regarding his future
- Russia collusion claims 'worse than Watergate'