Not only is Warner Bros. first feature film for Gal Gadot's Diana Prince wowing audiences and reaping positive reviews from fans and critics alike, the film's also making its mark at the box office. "Wonder Woman is a woman for our time, and her message and the tone that Patty Jenkins set forth connects with now".
The film, directed by Patty Jenkins, has broken the record for the highest-grossing opening weekend for a female-directed movie.
Wonder Woman will be released in theaters on June 2, 2017.
The domestic gross puts Jenkins - who proved detractors wrong for calling her a box office gamble with only the Academy Award-winning film Monster under her belt - firmly at the top of the list of successful female-directed films.
Wonder Woman, a warrior princess of the Amazons, made her DC Comics debut in 1941 and was famously played by Lynda Carter, a former Miss World USA, in a popular US TV series that ran from 1975 to 1979.
Doubt no more: Patty Jenkins's Wonder Woman willhave a sequel.
Although the bitter taste of "Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice" still lingers in my mouth, DC's release of "Wonder Woman" more than makes up for their past misfires. Internationally, the Warner Bros. and DC Comics film brought in $122.5 million this past weekend, for a total global opening of $223 million. Other huge openings for female-helmed films include Twilight's Catherine Hardwicke ($69.6 million), and Pitch Perfect 2's Elizabeth Banks ($69.2 million). But she has said where she wants to take the next movie.
Wonder Woman has been banned in Lebanon due to the film's leading star, Israeli actress Gal Gadot.The decision was made by the Lebanese government who took issue with the fact that Gadot is Israeli and served in the military.
- White House: Trump's tweets are 'official statements'
- British Prime Minister Says Police Have Identified 3 Attackers
- Clinging on to her job, Britain's May appoints new ministers
- "Wonder Woman" Outperforms "The Mummy", Remains #1 At US Weekend Box Office
- Pound dives on fears United Kingdom election may produce no clear victor
- Man Utd captain Rooney breaks silence over England axe
- Boris Johnson could be our next Prime Minister, claim reports
- Apple reinvents home audio with the HomePod
- Star Wars Releases New Teaser Image For Battlefront 2 Featuring Naboo Map
- Hands on with Apple's first Developer Beta of iOS 11