Last April, Lyon testified that the spikes in lead detected in the Flint River in early 2015 were consistent with spikes seen in previous years and immediately concerning to the HHS. Lead from old plumbing leached into the water system, the report found.
Sponsored Content - Download our Executive Briefing to learn how agency and industry experts are hoping to reduce insider threats. "The children of Flint have been exposed to lead poisoning". "But, if they were passing along those assessments and the governor wasn't taking action, that's a huge problem, too".
MI will provide $87 million in a combination of state and federal money, according to the settlement; $47 million of that must come from sources other than Obama-era federal water infrastructure improvement funds.
December 29, 2015: Snyder accepts the resignation of Department of Environmental Quality Director Dan Wyant and apologizes for what occurred in Flint. They still have not had their day in court. Download the latest podcast here.
In 2014 and 2015, at least 12 people in Flint died from Legionnaire's. The White House provides federal aid and an emergency declaration on January 16, but not the disaster declaration. Because of this, many have claimed that this water contamination crisis was a case of environmental racism, questioning whether this would have happened if Flint was a majority white town. But the state applied the wrong regulations and standards for drinking water, which ultimately resulted in corroded pipes.
Also Wednesday, Schuette said his investigators attempted to interview Snyder as part of their criminal investigation of the Flint drinking water crisis, but were unable to do so. The city's entire piped water system may need to be replaced, a cost that runs in the billions of dollars. But they caution residents to continue using filters. Nevertheless, the city has threatened to foreclose on homes for unpaid water bills.
The other four are already facing other, lesser, charges in connection to the water crisis.
At a news conference, Attorney General Bill Schuette told reporters the announcement is about restoring accountability and trust.
More than a dozen people now have been charged in the case, and pre-trial hearings and other legal proceedings are occurring; Schuette also released the initial results of the more than yearlong investigation, including a review of the facts and evidence in the case.
- 'Wonder Woman' buries 'The Mummy' at box office
- ICC Champions Trophy: Wasim Akram hails Pakistan's brilliant win over Sri Lanka
- French Open final place is ideal birthday present for Jelena Ostapenko
- United Kingdom leads the way in worldwide transition away from coal
- IPad Pro 10.5 Review: A Surprisingly Powerful Tablet
- Sony 'refused' cross platform Minecraft
- Kiwis beat British to reach America's Cup challenger finals
- UK prime minister's top aides resign after election fiasco
- Wonder Woman breaks box office record for female director
- Trump tweets against Germany, escalating row after tense summits