Fortunately for Republicans on the baseball team, Duncan said, Scalise is both a member of the team and a member of leadership - and he happened to be at practice Wednesday morning. "He was shooting people as far away as right field. Unfortunately, those feelings are familiar to those of us who have been in combat, so the least we can do is offer some perspectives for what they just when through".
Loudermilk said "there were a lot of heroes here today" and called the shooting "a senseless act of evil".
Top Democrats who have been the most vociferous critics of President Donald Trump and his policies abandoned their fiery "resistance" rhetoric and expressed uniform outrage at the shooting and sympathy for the victims.
"When we disagree, we do so in a way that is mindful of the fact that there are people who can hear us, whose decisions could be impacted by the weight of our words", said Democratic Congresswoman Debbie Wasserman Schultz. DeSantis said he found the question "a little odd".
DeSantis said that a suspicious individual walked up to him as he was leaving the practice early.
ABC News sources say Duncan was playing shortstop before he left practice.
Jeff Duncan, who I ride with, from SC, he had done. I didn't think anything of it because that's a public exercise area.
"We are profoundly grateful for the heroism of the Capitol Police, whose bravery under fire undoubtedly saved countless lives". Two Capitol Police officers were also hit as they returned fire.
"The team has been using the field for years", DeSantis said. "We just said a prayer for our colleagues and are holding to leave Dem baseball practice".
- England beats Venezuela to lift U20 World Cup for 1st time
- Puerto Rico upholds statehood demand in contentious vote
- Trump tweets against Germany, escalating row after tense summits
- French Open final place is ideal birthday present for Jelena Ostapenko
- United and City looking to create El Classico in Manchester
- Talent Not an Issue for England's New Manager
- Most active Western Conference teams this offseason
- United Kingdom leads the way in worldwide transition away from coal
- South Africa were unrecognisable against India: Graeme Smith
- Insomniac's Spider-Man debuts gameplay footage