The attacker, identified as James T Hodgkinson from IL, was killed after exchanging shots with police at the baseball field.
In March, Sheriff's deputies came out to Hodgkinson's house in IL after a neighbor reported hearing 50 gunshots.
Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders said in a floor speech Wednesday afternoon that he learned that Hodgkinson had volunteered for his progressive campaign for president, which focused on economic equality and almost toppled Hillary Clinton's presidential aspirations and threatened to derail the Democratic Convention last summer.
"We may have our differences, but we do well in times like these to remember that everyone who serves in our nation's capital is here, because. above all, they love our country", Trump said during remarks in the Diplomatic Reception Room at the White House. "I talked to people on the Iowa campaign this morning who have never heard of him".
The House majority whip, 51, is a five-term Republican from Louisiana.
Hodgkinson opened fire with a semiautomatic rifle, unleashing multiple rounds before he was engaged by police officers and fatally wounded, according to published reports.
Hodgkinson was a member of many anti-Republican groups on Facebook, including "The Road to Hell Is Paved With Republicans", "Terminate The Republican Party", and "Donald Trump is not my President", his profile showed before it was taken down. He died from injuries sustained in a shoot-out with Capitol Hill police who were at the scene in Alexandria, Virginia. A lobbyist was also wounded and said to be in critical condition following surgery.
The annual Congressional baseball game will go on as planned Thursday night at Nationals Park in the United States capital.
Law enforcement officials arrived at Hodgkinson's small farmhouse in the rural community southeast of St. Louis on Wednesday. Here's what we know so far about those who were injured in the attack.
"He was, I guess, exhausted of some of the politics going on", said Walsh.
- England beats Venezuela to lift U20 World Cup for 1st time
- 5 people, including Michigan health chief, charged in Flint
- Trump cheerleaders turn on special counsel Mueller
- Sri Lanka need to come up with concrete plan, says Roshan Mahanama
- Secret Service says it doesn't have any Trump tapes
- Justices give gov't time to address second travel ban ruling
- Metroid Prime 4 announced for Nintendo Switch
- Tim Farron quits as Liberal Democrat leader
- Talent Not an Issue for England's New Manager
- United and City looking to create El Classico in Manchester