In its announcement, Discovery hypes the sure-to-be-epic swim meet.
Interestingly, the news about Phelps racing a great white shark was released on the same day a story was published by NBC Sports about Phelps criticizing the International Olympic Committee for adding more swimming events to the Olympics. 39 world records. 23 Olympic golds.
Phelps' Great White race isn't the only Shark Week special he'll be appearing in.
As The Hollywood Reporter points out, Phelps will have his work cut out for him. On the other hand, a great white shark was built to hunt and kill in the open water and clocks in at 25 miles per hour.
Michael Phelps is fast, but can he outswim a shark? "Great White" and is set to air in late July.
You read that right - Phelps will attempt to outswim a great white shark. Shark Week kicks off an hour earlier at 7 p.m. E.T. That said, even more telling of Phelps's potential loss in the forthcoming race is a 2008 study claiming he swims slower than a goldfish.
The rather vaguely worded announcement says Phelps will take on "An event so monumental no one has ever attempted it before".
It's not clear exactly how Phelps, who turns 32 later this month, will be racing the great white.
Phelps posted a photo from the shoot on Instagram last Saturday, although the cage-diving scene didn't reflect the marquee event, a race that so far has few details.
He must be getting bored or else he wouldn't be preparing to race a shark next month. Phelps has been recorded reaching speeds of 6mph in the pool, while the great white can reach speeds of up to 25mph.
- Key players in the Qatar crisis
- Britain-EU Brexit talks to start Monday as planned
- House Republicans warned of prospect for 2018 midterm losses
- About $4 million raised for London fire victims
- US college student released by North Korea home, but in coma
- Two Australians confirmed dead in London Bridge terror attack
- Amazon-Whole Foods Marriage Could Disrupt Grocery Business (NASDAQ:AMZN)
- New York Times sues FBI to get notes of Comey-Trump talks
- Neighbors Call GOP Shooter a 'Radical Nut' Who Was 'Reckless' with Firearms
- DUP head: Talks with UK Conservatives going well