MedStar also confirmed previous reports that Scalise is showing signs of improvement - being more responsive and speaking with loved ones - following surgery Saturday. When Scalise was shot Wednesday, Henry left Baton Rouge for Washington to be with the congressman and his family. He's been sedated since then, the doctor added, "but we've been able to turn that sedation down enough for him to respond to his family members, and he clearly knows that they're there and appreciates their presence".
Capitol Police Officer Crystal Griner also remains at the MedStar Washington hospital after sustaining a gunshot wound to her ankle, but is in "good condition and good spirits" the hospital said.
The president made his comments as he spoke in Miami to announce a new policy on Cuba.
James Hodgkinson was an ardent Bernie Sanders (I-VT) supporter, and in a speech on the floor, a visibly shaken Senator Sanders declared "violence of any kind is unacceptable".
When paramedics arrived on scene, Scalise was awake, Sava said, but by the time he arrived at the hospital he had gone into shock and lost consciousness.
But Scalise still faces multiple surgeries, a prolonged hospital stay and a lengthy recovery, Sava stressed.
Congressmen on the list say they've been contacted by Capitol Police.
"Our hearts are broken over the assault that was made, really, on all of us", she said, "but personally heartbroken over the dea...ah, at what happened to Steve Scalise, our colleague". Officer David Bailey recovered enough to throw the first pitch at Thursday's Congressional Baseball Game.
- Tim Farron quits as Liberal Democrat leader
- US Open leaderboard crowded at the top
- Zidane can stay at Real Madrid for life, says Perez
- Wife: Man who shot congressman wanted to work on tax policy
- Sir John Major is 'concerned wary and dubious' over DUP confidence deal
- DUP head: Talks with UK Conservatives going well
- Reports say Mueller probe now examining possible obstruction
- Congress seeks normalcy, heads back to work after shooting
- Neighbors Call GOP Shooter a 'Radical Nut' Who Was 'Reckless' with Firearms
- Amazon-Whole Foods Marriage Could Disrupt Grocery Business (NASDAQ:AMZN)