Grenfell Tower is the only high-rise building in the Lancaster West Estate, which comprises of 900 other apartments, split into smaller low-rise blocks.
"His family are being supported by family liaison officers".
The police chief, who went inside the charred shell of the high-rise tower over the weekend, told reporters: "I've investigated major crime for most of my service and I've seen some bad things but I don't think anything prepared me for what I was going to see when I was in there".
When asked why they couldn't get access to it, she said: "Because no one's telling us where it is".
"And our priority is to bring out those who are still in there".
Residents of the destroyed tower said Ms May was far too slow to visit the stricken community, that the building had been unsafe and that officials failed to give enough information and support to those who lost relatives and their homes. "I believe there may be people who were in Grenfell Tower that people may not know were missing and may not have realised they were in there on the night". Of these, nine remain in critical care.
"That number 58 may change".
He said: 'For me, this is a human tragedy'. But it may increase.
Speculation has focused on the role that cladding apparently used in a recent refurbishment of the tower may have played in the fire.
"Until we do that, we can not look at anything other than staying with the same advice".
Commander Stuart Cundy said the fire damage verged on "indescribable".
"It may take longer than that".
"As soon as we can, we will locate and recover loved ones", he added.
The recovery operation had been paused amid concerns for the safety of emergency workers in the building, but has now resumed. I am sure you will all understand we do not want another fatality arising out of this tragedy.
"Over the last 48 hours, our investigators have been working tirelessly working with families to establish just how many we believe are missing from Grenfell Tower", he said.
"The investigation will be exhaustive".
- US top court to hear Wisconsin appeal in electoral map dispute
- Boris Johnson denies plot to topple UK PM Theresa May
- Talent Not an Issue for England's New Manager
- Amit Shah:No Chance Of India Pakistan Series At Their Home Grounds
- United and City looking to create El Classico in Manchester
- Muslim girl may have been sexually assaulted
- Flash Flood Watch Hits NYC Until Tomorrow Morning
- 'Trooping the Color' in London for Queen's Official Birthday
- US Continues to Drill for Oil, Crude Prices Fall Further
- Most active Western Conference teams this offseason