The granting of Test status will fulfil a lifelong ambition for the likes of legendary batsman Ed Joyce, who is playing on in expectation of a treasured first Test cap.
The move sees Ireland and Afghanistan take the total number of member countries to 12 and they are the first to be given Test status since Bangladesh in 2000. Not being able to play Tests was the reason cited by some players, who weren't able to achieve that career fulfillment with Ireland, as the reason they went to England.
Until 1982 there were only seven full members of the ICC but that year Sri Lanka were admitted.
Previous experience suggests it could take both Ireland and Afghanistan a long time to adjust to the demands of five-day Test cricket.
Afghanistan ... accepted as a Full Member of the International Cricket Council.
Deutrom said he hopes it will stop the player drain from Ireland to England's national team. It followed three consecutive promotions over the previous year when they began in Division Five of the World Cricket League.
Two years later, the players played their hearts out to qualify for the 2011 World Cup in India, but fell short.
"Both will now be eligible to play Test cricket".
The first President of USACA John Marder, in 1965, proposed in the then formed International Cricket Conference, an associate membership - a pathway for new cricket playing member to play test cricket and end up as full member eventually.
Rajput feels the Afghan players are natural hard hitters of the ball and his job is to make them understand the need to spend more time in the middle instead of chasing quick runs.
Every cricketer's dream is to be a test cricketer, that's the real test.
There are also questions about how well Afghanistan will do in the game's longest format.
The ICC Board also unanimously agreed a new financial model, thereby reversing the 2014 resolutions and giving greater equality in the distribution of ICC income.
"We can now commence discussions with several parties about staging our first Test while we look forward to the outcome of discussions around global cricket structures which will help us unlock increased commercial funding to assist in the development of the game".
- Cristiano Ronaldo to testify in tax fraud case July 31 - court
- Amazon buying Whole Foods in bold move into brick and mortar
- Portugal goal against Mexico annulled after video review
- Spanish state prosecutor accuses Jose Mourinho of tax fraud
- Champions Trophy could be scrapped in favour of biennial World Twenty20
- How the Senate health bill compares to House, 'Obamacare'
- Mayor promises Stanley Cup parade, but plans unclear so far
- Nintendo Apologizes for Shortages of Switch Hardware
- Thousands attend slain Muslim teen's funeral in Virginia
- Dead, missing toll in London fire rises to 79, police say