However, in the quarter finals, Pakistan faced mighty Olympic and World champions, Argentina which beat the green shirts 3-1. But Razie Rahim's flick was blocked away by India's first runner with the umpire awarding another PC to Malaysia. Talwinder Singh picked a long ball from captain Manpreet Singh in the scoring zone, but directed his shot wide to the right as the third quarter did not produce a goal.
The Netherlands will play England in the last four after the host nation emerged from a thrilling battle with Canada on the right side of a 4-2 scoreline.
"While our first aim is to do well in the pool stage and do well against opponents like South Africa and Argentina, our big aim at the tournament is to qualify for the World Cup next year", Chief Coach Sjoerd Marijne said.
The semi-finals are due to be held on Saturday (June 24).
With such a dismal show, Pakistan got into the quarter finals of the league when Canada which needed a win against Scotland to make it to the quarter finals played a 1-1 draw.
Australia consolidated their position at the summit of the group as Georgina Morgan's penalty corner was enough to earn a 1-0 victory over the host nation at the Stade Fallon.
"Today we were in control throughout the first half but mentally took our foot off the pedal when we went 3-0 up and conceding a goal caused some anxious moments but happy to have limited our opponents to just one goal".
Action is scheduled to resume on Saturday.
Malaysia continued their attacking game and got a great opportunity to break the deadlock in the 17h minute when a scoop from the deep found Nabil Noor alone inside the Indian circle but alert goalkeeper Vikas Dahiya came off his line to deny Noor. Malaysia for sure have India's number. They (Indian players) know, understand and discussed it. A last-gasp attempt saw Jasjit send a diagonal ball into the goalmouth, where Ramandeep's deflection went marginally wide.
- Amazon buying Whole Foods in bold move into brick and mortar
- Ronaldo summoned to answer judge's questions on tax fraud
- Dead, missing toll in London fire rises to 79, police say
- In video, girl begs mother for quiet after Castile shooting
- Dem loss in Georgia underscores party challenges
- Champions Trophy could be scrapped in favour of biennial World Twenty20
- Portugal goal against Mexico annulled after video review
- In spite of tweet, lawyer says Trump not under investigation
- Pres. Trump Congratulates Republicans for Special Election Wins
- Mark Wahlberg Is Probably Done With the Transformers Movies