Sanchez declared his 38th worldwide objective in the 7th min to overshadow the record established by Marcelo Salas, reaching the turning point on his 112th cap.
La Roja almost doubled their lead in the 20th minute through Eduardo Vargas, but the striker's effort from the edge of the box rattled the crossbar with Ter Stegen well beaten.
"Australia play with a lot of fighting spirit and I expect a hard game against a team with a different style to Chile", said Cameroon's Belgian coach Hugo Broos.
"You can see how we sometimes blocked each other, especially in front of goal".
Germany have won all of the three competitive meetings between the teams, and won their last friendly encounter in Stuttgart in 2014, when they prevailed 1-0 thanks to a Mario Gotze goal. "He's a great player, one of the best in the Premier League".
Germany, with a lineup slightly changed from the opening win against Australia, equalized in the 41st after Jonas Hector deceived the Chilean defenders on the left side of the area and made a well-timed cross for Stindl's close-range goal.
A quieter second half did not produce a winning goal, meaning Chile and Germany stay level on four points at the top of Group B, three clear of Australia and Cameroon, who also drew 1-1 earlier on Thursday.
With half a dozen key players rested this summer ahead of next year's World Cup title defence in Russia, Germany coach Joachim Loew brought a young team to Russia.
Arsenal star Sanchez was fit enough only to make a second-half appearance in Chile's opening Confederations Cup win over Cameroon, having struggled to shake off an ankle problem.
The Chilean therefore scored his 38th goal for his country, becoming Chile's most prolific marksman in the process. We won that last match in Stuttgart but we had much more difficulty in controlling the match.
The goal was loudly cheered by Russian fans who led chants of "Cam-ay-roon" in the second half, trying to help lift the African champion to victory.
"Sanchez does well in the end, Mustafi here, what he's thinking of I don't know", Dixon said on ITV.
Chile's matchwinning goalscorer Arturo Vidal will face one of his Bayern Munich team-mates, Joshua Kimmich, when his side play Germany.
- Saudi, most Gulf Arabs start Eid al-Fitr on Sunday
- Pres. Trump Congratulates Republicans for Special Election Wins
- Portugal weighs resting Ronaldo for New Zealand game
- Malaysia lose to Spain in women's World Hockey League Semi-Finals
- India's opposition pitch Dalit for president
- Donald Trump takes swipe at Obama on student death
- Obama tears new proposed health care bill apart on his Facebook account
- Trump knows he is "being investigated for firing the FBI Director"
- Petersburg's Frank Mason III picked by Sacramento Kings in NBA Draft
- North Korea denies torturing American detainee Otto Warmbier