Never before has a host nation failed to reach at least the Confed Cup semifinal stage, but anything less than three points at the riverside Kazan Arena in Russia's Republic of Tatarstan will mean Russian Federation will crash out should Portugal likely beat New Zealand in St. Petersburg.
The talented Bernardo Silva doubled the European champions' tally before the break with a simple finish after a lovely Portugal move on the left flank.
His loudest ovation was for applauding back to the crowd when substituted midway through the second half.
"We'll try to counter their strengths and exploit their weaknesses, but we need to be focused".
"We need to control the game and show to ourselves that we can compete under such hard circumstances, take a step forward and keep growing as a team so we are capable of playing against any team and any style". "But we were better, we had more chances", he said.
Portugal will be without Raphael Guerreiro on Saturday, though the Borussia Dortmund defender could return in the tournament.
But like I said before the tournament: "the only nation that aren't continental champions are us, we are making a step forward", Cherchesov said.
The linesman's flag denied Spartak Moscow's Samedow after he put the ball in the net early in the second half, and Mexico forged ahead as Lozano's courageous gamble paid off.
The Real Madrid superstar enjoyed a stunning sequence of games to end his 2016-17 campaign, netting 16 times in his final 10 fixtures.
After the draw with Portugal, Mexico's coach Juan Carlos Osorio made eight changes against New Zealand, which back-fired and his side only reacted when they fell behind.
"I don't know if I'm going to play with Cristiano or without Cristiano", Santos said through a translator.
In a game with New Zealand's favorite underdog allowed to take the lead.
The Oceania champions took a shock lead when Clayton Lewis threaded his pass between two defenders to Wood, who coolly fired home on 42 minutes. Statistics show that if on the field do not have in New Zealand, then to calculate the precise shots do not have to use all the fingers of both hands.
Mexico equalised when Aquino broke down the left flank and passed to Marco Fabian, who squared for forward Jimenez to fire home on 54 minutes.
- How the Senate health bill compares to House, 'Obamacare'
- White House paints Handel win as Trump triumph
- Congressman's condition 'more difficult' than first thought
- Petersburg's Frank Mason III picked by Sacramento Kings in NBA Draft
- Nintendo Apologizes for Shortages of Switch Hardware
- Cristiano Ronaldo to testify in tax fraud case July 31 - court
- Dem loss in Georgia underscores party challenges
- India's opposition pitch Dalit for president
- Qatar goes ahead with $12bn USA fighter jet deal despite Trump's criticism
- Obama tears new proposed health care bill apart on his Facebook account