India's Srikanth Kidambi claimed the men's singles title at the Badminton World Federation (BWF) Australian Open after beating Olympic champion Chen Long in the final today. Srikanth secured second straight title victory in a week after he won the Indonesian Open Super Series Premier last Sunday.
Srikanth has now reached his third consecutive final.
Okuhara won her first World Superseries title since the All England previous year, displaying the full extent of her indefatigable retrieving style in getting the better of Yamaguchi.
Srikanth and Shi engaged in long rallies with both the shuttlers staying away from the net early on.
Srikanth, however, continued to remain aggressive but trailed for the first time in the game after a successful challenge from Chen.
However, the World No. 11 took 11-9 lead at the short break in Game 2 before completely dominating the second half and taking an incredible 21-16 win to wrap-up the contest. He was runner-up at Singapore while he won at Indonesia. "This is the best phase in my career at the highest level and winning three Superseries is something which I would cherish forever", he added.
"I'm playing better after the Sudirman Cup".
Indian shuttler Kidambi Srikanth is on a roll! "I feel less pressure now as an independent player, that's why my performances have improved in recent times", Lee said.
But Srikanth did not let the momentum slip, and helped by Long's erratic play, the underdog earned his first game point at 20-19.
Kidambi Srikanth: The second set was no different as Srikanth once again took the initial advantage and took a lead of 4-1. Praneeth produced to save three game points but Srikanth eventually seal the game 25-23.
- Vargas earns 11th win as Royals top Blue Jays 3-2
- Wounded Rep. Steve Scalise out of intensive care
- Nevada Senator Opposes Healthcare Bill, Now The 5th Republican
- Best ways to make your website stand out from the rest
- Fleury leads Vegas Golden Knights' expansion draft choices
- Deputies firing on charging dog hit, kill teen boy
- Top smartphones for gaming
- Isabela Moner on Making 'Transformers: The Last Knight' with Michael Bay
- How the Senate health bill compares to House, 'Obamacare'
- JK CM pays homage to cop murdered by lynch mob