After the interviewer asked him why he thinks she's the best "female player" and not just the best player in the world, John responded with, "Well because if she was in, if she played the men's circuit she'd be like 700 in the world".
"I don't want anything to go wrong with Serena because she's pregnant, I don't want to upset her".
When asked if he would like to apologise for his comments, the tennis legend said was emphatic in his response.
"Why don't you combine ..."
Williams revealed that she learned she was expecting a baby just before the Australian Open, which she won, and that wasn't something she or her boyfriend had planned.
A third "battle of the sexes" match took place in 1992 between American former world number one Jimmy Connors, aged 40 at the time, and Czech/American Martina Navratilova, who was 35. Am I having a baby? She said she had felt off her game, but thought her hormones were acting up.
While talking about her surprise pregnancy, she said, "I don't know what to do with a baby. I do, but the reality of what would happen would be I think something that perhaps it'd be a little higher, perhaps it'd be a little lower", he said.
Retired tennis player John McEnroe doubled down on his comments regarding Serena Williams Tuesday night.
"I've got a solution", McEnroe said.
But Ohanian didn't pay much attention to tennis before he met her, and had no idea how tough she was.
And while she will miss the remainder of the 2017 season, Williams looks forward to hitting the court with her new fan in the stands in January 2018.
Where would the 58-year-old McEnroe rank himself on the men's tennis circuit if he played today?
"Do they say that about girl basketball players, that they're as good as Michael Jordan, for example?"
But she took a pregnancy test only after a friend's nagging, dismissing the idea as a joke and taking it while she was working on her hair and makeup for a sponsor appearance. "This is happening sooner than later, and it's going by so fast". At present, Andy Murray is the current top ranked ATP Tour player while Uzbekistan' Temur Ismailov holds down the 500th spot.
"I would hope that I would win against Serena", said Tursunov in an interview with the BBC.
- Cosby Jury Deadlocks; Judge Orders Further Deliberations
- London tower toll rises to 79
- Fourth of July in Skokie includes double feature of parade, fireworks
- Jeremy Corbyn gets rock star welcome at Glastonbury Festival
- New cyberattack causes mass disruption in Europe
- Opposition's Presidential Candidate Meira Kumar To File Nomination On Wednesday
- 76ers get No. 1 pick from Celtics, chance to draft Fultz
- Derek Carr: I'll hand it to Marshawn on 1-yard line
- NDA nominee Ram Nath meets UP MPs for support
- Death toll from Pakistan attacks climbs to 73