Now he is tied at seven with Pete Sampras, but Federer comes into the third Grand Slam of the year with a lot of confidence as one of the favourites for the coveted trophy.
Two-time former Wimbledon semi-finalist Richard Gasquet slipped out of the tournament, losing 6-3 6-4 5-7 6-2 in what always looked a tough challenge against Spanish veteran David Ferrer, who is unseeded this year but was ranked third in the world four years ago. We had a little joke about it in the locker room, saying we should maybe play a practice set on the Centre Court, have the crowd stay.
"I don't want to be at the mercy of my opponent", said Federer.
Play begins on the outer courts at 11;30am, with Centre Court & No. 1 Court starting play at 1pm, all times BST..
World number one Angelique Kerber, the 2016 Australian and US Open victor, is among the favourites after reaching last year's final, which she lost to Serena.
While Federer felt for the stars who had to pull out, he admitted it was the supporters who were really suffering after the unfortunate withdrawals.
The Serb added: "It's really odd that Roger's result and my result more or less was the same". It brings back many memories. "Then sort of basically resting, just making sure I come in fresh into that first round with the right mindset".
Federer, who hit his 10,000th career ace in the eighth game of the first set, will face either Dusan Lajovic for a place in the last 32.
"You never like to end up a match this way but I heard that Klizan had issues even before walking on the court", said Djokovic.
'I said, "Yeah, let me go try to find Novak". "I'm just happy I'm through the first round", Kerber said.
"Spent a lot more time training", Raonic said.
"I started serving well but when it mattered I made the break".
MONDAY'S LOSERS Seeded losers in the men's first round: No. 5 Stan Wawrinka, No. 20 Nick Kyrgios, No. 21 Ivo Karlovic, No. 31 Fernando Verdasco.
The number two seed eventually picked him off to take the opening set before Klizan called for the trainer as his departure drew closer.
'I don't know how much of that has something to play with it.
The thinking behind the move is to preserve the integrity of a tournament and prevent fans from feeling short-changed.
While he shunned the entire clay court season to give himself "the best chance for Wimbledon", a ninth title at the Halle grasscourt tournament has put him in the zone for Wimbledon.
- Arab Crisis: Qatar responds to Saudi-led blockade demands
- Who are the 2017 Nathan's Hot Dog Eating Contest champs?
- French president vows support in Sahel anti-extremist fight
- Microsoft to Lay Off Thousands of Employees to Reorganize Its Salesforce
- Liverpool set to make "concrete offer tonight" for £70m transfer target
- Ibaka, Raptors agree on $65 million, 3-year deal
- Netanyahu welcomes India's Narendra Modi to Israel on state visit
- NJ Government Shutdown: Local Lawmakers Critical of Christie
- Donald Trump renews attack on 'dumb as a rock' female TV host
- Eight injured after gunmen open fire at French mosque