He said an innocent bystander was also shot and hospitalized with non-life threatening injuries after the incident.
"Based off what we know right now, it's clear this was an unprovoked attack on a police officer who are assigned to keep the people of this great city safe".
The police, Miosotis Familia, who had about 12 years seniority in the police force, was stationed in a police vehicle with a colleague.
The commissioner said the suspect fired one round, after which the shot officer's partner called for backup.
A silver revolver was recovered at the scene, police said. "Police be killing and saying an inmate killed them".
A source who viewed surveillance footage said that Bond approached the police vehicle "with goal".
A bystander was struck by a bullet during the confrontation and was hospitalized, police said.
-Familia was a 12-year veteran of the NYPD. Familia was sitting in her marked vehicle when Bonds shot at her through the passenger side window.
The suspect has been identified as 34-year-old Alexander Bonds.
Familia's partner radioed for assistance, while other uniformed officers chased after the suspect, who took off on foot. Wednesday when the alleged gunman - identified by police as Alexander Bonds - fired one round into the mobile command post, striking the mother of three in the head, authorities said.
De Blasio went on to say that her fellow NYPD officers responded to her aid immediately after the shocking and sudden attack. That person has been listed in stable condition.
In October, Bonds posted another video of a man scuffling with police officers after they allegedly use a Tazer on his wife. Officers outside the Bronx hospital saluted as the vehicles passed. The investigation into the fatal shooting is ongoing.
- Bus bursts into flames after collision in Germany, injuring 31
- Eight injured after gunmen open fire at French mosque
- Amazon, Apple sees shares drop after NASDAQ tech glitch
- Djokovic into second round as Klizan retires injured
- Stenhouse Jr., edges Bowyer at Daytona
- 5 women to watch in Wimbledon 2017
- Afghan all-girl robotics team denied U.S. visas for competition
- Netanyahu welcomes India's Narendra Modi to Israel on state visit
- Venus Williams "devastated and heartbroken" by Fatal Accident Involving her vehicle
- Arab Crisis: Qatar responds to Saudi-led blockade demands