But when the Dogg wanted to listen to Jay-Z's new album, 4:44, he had to resort to other means to get a copy because he wasn't rocking Tidal. It's expected that an audience of millions tuned in There was also a continuous online streaming channel that ran for the day of June 30.
"Props to JAY, he's done it again!" the RIAA also tweeted alongside a photo of the rapper posing with his plaque. But it's possible Jay is benefitting from Tidal's arrangement with co-owner Sprint to drive subscribers to the streaming service to hear the album. Platinum certification traditionally meant the album had sold 1,000,000 copies or digital downloads in the USA, but these days RIAA also includes 1500 streams as ten track sales equivalent to one album sale towards its gold and platinum certifications. Per the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA), the album was certified platinum earlier today, an impressive feat given that it wasn't released until last Friday.
According to Billboard, 4:44 will be released on Apple Music and iTunes this week.
According to the body which gives out these Awards in the U.S., 4:44 has "sold" at least 1 million copies. "Fans participated, took action and downloaded Jay-Z's album offered by Sprint".
Jay-Z's label, ROC Nation, shared the news on Wednesday.
As Vulture points out, 4:44 still isn't for sale in most major music outlets (even though a physical edition is supposed to be coming). Though Jay-Z has often framed himself as a multimillionaire feasting on capitalism, 4:44 feels reflective, socially conscious and candid, allowing us to truly appreciate his artistry.
- Pope reverses Vatican stand on British sick baby case
- Amazon recruits Alexa to sell Prime subscriptions, promote deals
- Merkel Before G20: Paris Accord Irreversible, Not Negotiable
- Netanyahu welcomes India's Narendra Modi to Israel on state visit
- French president vows support in Sahel anti-extremist fight
- Eight injured after gunmen open fire at French mosque
- Rob Kardashian calls out Blac Chyna for 'cheating': 'U need help'
- EPS for QTS Realty Trust Inc (QTS) Expected At $0.65
- Amelia Earhart May Have Survived Crash-Landing, Newly Discovered Photo Suggests
- Iraqi PM hails 'big victory' in Mosul