As of now, Morata looks to be joining up with Los Blancos for their pre-season training next week, along with James Rodriguez, who looks very unlikely to play at The Bernabeu next season. Mourinho would preferably like to bring in another player as well as Lukaku for then too, along with new centre-half Victor Lindelof.
United and Chelsea have been strongly linked with the same trio of strikers this transfer window, and as United close in on Lukaku, Chelsea will be forced to turn to the remaining two options on their list: Morata and Torino striker Andrea Belotti.
The Colombian's marketability would fulfil executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward's desire for a "star" name this summer.
He's now out in Los Angeles with Paul Pogba and will hope to take a medical out in America with the hopes of joining up with Man United for the pre-season tour, with the rest of the players flying out on Sunday. Alvaro Morata, who has been linked with United for weeks, may well be the subject to interest from Chelsea, should the Blues miss out on Lukaku.
The former United and Everton player believes Lukaku will make the Red Devils a much stronger attacking outfit when it comes to transition and counter-attacking, and reckons he will score enough goals to be considered a success at Old Trafford.
RUBEN LOFTUS-CHEEK: Brighton and Newcastle are battling it out to sign the Chelsea midfielder on a season-long loan, according to The Sun.
The Italian worldwide has forged a reputation as one of the hottest strikers in Europe after scoring 28 goals for Torino last season and his form has caught the eye of several top clubs.
"Chelsea's interest in Lukaku allowed United to fly under the radar on this", the source said. Lukaku was the Premier League's second top-scorer last season and the club plans to do fill the gap with Arsenal striker Olivier Giroud, but Everton faces competition from Marseille, which the Daily Telegraph say is in pole position.
Fans are right to feel aggrieved, because the status quo has rekindled rumours that Conte, who swiftly attained hero status on an unprecedented scale at Stamford Bridge, might depart in a fit of frustrated pique.
- Trans People Less Likely to Have Needed Health Care
- Rob Kardashian calls out Blac Chyna for 'cheating': 'U need help'
- Pope reverses Vatican stand on British sick baby case
- EU, Japan agree on free-trade deal
- Overwatch: Doomfist Revealed - Details, Abilities, and Origin Trailer
- Amelia Earhart May Have Survived Crash-Landing, Newly Discovered Photo Suggests
- S & U PLC (LON:SUS) Now Covered by Peel Hunt
- Who are the 2017 Nathan's Hot Dog Eating Contest champs?
- Hackers Have Been Targeting US Nukes
- Merkel Before G20: Paris Accord Irreversible, Not Negotiable