Should the president need to leave a G20 session, he or she is typically replaced by a member of their cabinet.
The official emphasised that "when other leaders stepped out, their seats were also briefly filled by others".
Ambassador Nikki Haley said Trump had gone into the meeting "to basically look him in the eye, let him know that, yes, we know you did it and cut it out".
When President Donald Trump briefly stepped out of a meeting at the G-20 summit, he had an unusual choice for a replacement: his daughter Ivanka. Ivanka, on the other hand, has said that she raises disagreements with her father and does justice to the office she holds. She and her husband, Jared Kushner, also an adviser, are both powerful figures in the White House and have accompanied the president on his foreign trips. The president had left the room to conduct one-on-one meetings.
Comedian Dom Joly said: "Ivanka Trump sitting in at G20 instead of her father is breathtakingly insane".
"If being complicit is wanting to...be a force for good and to make a positive impact, then I'm complicit", she said. 'Might be the only bad thing she has going, if you want to know the truth'.
There is no report of Ivanka actually being any more involved than on any other "Bring Your Child To Work Day" might be, but even her presence at the top table is enough to have evoked a stern reaction.
In a rare, self-deprecating moment, the president said during remarks in Hamburg that he's been proud of his eldest daughter from "day one".
- United and City looking to create El Classico in Manchester
- Top smartphones for gaming
- Game of Thrones episode synopses for July revealed
- Israel Slammed For Dismantling $600K West Bank Solar Project
- The Right Place for Drug Rehab
- Why Is Tesla's Stock Down?
- Can Atleti snatch La Liga's title away from Barca?
- SPOILERS: Marvel Studios President On The Final Scene In 'Spider-Man: Homecoming'
- +220000 Jobs in June; Record 153168000 Employed
- Samsung reports record quarterly profits