Just this week, the firm announced plans to sink $18bn into its chip business as it attempts to solidify its place in the market.
"This is a better-than-expected performance", he added.
The earnings forecast surpassed a market consensus of around 13.2 trillion won compiled by FnGuide, a financial information service provider. When compared with the same period a year ago, this is an increase of 17.79 and 71.99 percent respectively.
"In July DRAM prices will go up again, while from mid-August on, OLED panels go out for Apple", HMC Investment analyst Greg Roh said.
South Korea's ruling party made a rare comment about Samsung Electronics Co.'s good second-quarter earnings Saturday, a gesture seen as a prod to get the world's largest manufacturer of smartphones to do more to revitalize the local economy.
He projects annual operating profits of 50 trillion won for 2017, up 70 percent from a year ago.
Shares of Samsung were unchanged at 2.361 million won as of 11:48 a.m.in Seoul. Earlier this week, Samsung said it planned to invest $18 billion in South Korea in its chip business to boost its lead in the market.
This would mark a 72 percent year-on-year increase and while the Galaxy S8 will have helped, a bigger chunk of the profits here actually comes from Samsung's display and chip manufacturing businesses. But analysts estimate the semiconductor division raked in over 8 trillion won in operating profit, or 57.1 percent of the total, as demand for DRAM and NAND flash storage chips exploded amid a global supply shortage.
The latest earnings figures signal that Samsung may have moved past the damage to its reputation caused by the Galaxy Note 7 recall.
- Rob Kardashian cuts Blac Chyna off
- S & U PLC (LON:SUS) Now Covered by Peel Hunt
- Microsoft to Cut Thousands of Sales Jobs
- +220000 Jobs in June; Record 153168000 Employed
- Takeover tussle brewing for payments processor Worldpay
- Rob Kardashian's "Revenge Porn" Jab At Blac Chyna Could Spell Trouble
- Overwatch: Doomfist Revealed - Details, Abilities, and Origin Trailer
- Amazon recruits Alexa to sell Prime subscriptions, promote deals
- Nintendo Switch Online Smartphone App Launches On 21st July
- Marvel legend Stan Lee's wife Joan dies at the age of 93