But Konta showed all her physical and mental strength to come through the three hour 10-minute test, 10-8 in the third, and to recover in time for a gutsy and full-blooded performance from one of new and promising players on the scene.
Konta had never been this to this stage at the All England Club in her career to date but didn't look out of place and she's gone one further as she reached the last-16.
Watson said: "I was very upset after that match".
Watson and her Finnish playing partner Henri Kontinen, the reigning champions, won 6-3 6-4 against Azarenka and Serbia's Nenad Zimonjic.
Losing the opener appeared to wake Azarenka up, however, as she won six consecutive games to level the contest in the second.
"In the heat of the moment I did a bad thing and I apologize for this", said Medvedev, who denied he was implying the chair umpire was paid off. Azarenka cruised to a 6-3, 6-3 victory in the second round of her first Grand Slam since taking a year off to have her first child in December.
It was a long, arduous three-set win for the 26-year-old. "I don't anticipate anything different, other than a really, really tough battle for me". Meanwhile, fellow Brit Heather Watson progressed by beating Anastasija Sevastova 6-0, 6-4.
"At a Slam we are in the fortunate position where we play every second day and I'm not involved in the doubles or the mixed here", she told Standard Sport. The Briton survived two break points to seal the opener, before easing her way through the second after an early break.
"I'm very happy with that", said Konta, speaking after the match. It's an easy mistake to make given that he is from Slovenia, who qualified to represent Great Britain after undergoing the necessary residency rules. I'm not too sure what exactly the demographic of it was in terms of what seats were filled and what weren't.
Konta was a tennis warrior and in her head vowed not to let a little bang or bump destroy her chances of playing this prestigious grass court event.
"I mean, for me, a lot of my challenges and my competition's also within myself and within my own focus".
And even though she has yet to play a seed, she has faced some formidable women. "But then when the time will come, I will talk about my next opponent with my team and we will get prepared for that".
- Fabio Aru claimed his maiden Tour de France win in Paris
- Trans People Less Likely to Have Needed Health Care
- Gulf Crisis: We will not surrender to "aggressors", Qatari FM
- Marvel legend Stan Lee's wife Joan dies at the age of 93
- China cancels Xi-Modi meet at G20 summit amid border stand-off
- France to Ban Sales of Gas, Diesel Vehicles by 2040
- Takeover tussle brewing for payments processor Worldpay
- Trump says Russian Federation likely hacked but nobody 'knows for sure'
- Pistons rescind qualifying offer to Kentavious Caldwell-Pope
- Israel Slammed For Dismantling $600K West Bank Solar Project