Wani was killed in an encounter with the security forces in south Kashmirs Anantnag district on July 8 a year ago. The Indian security establishment considers Wani as a militant leader, who not only planned attacks against the security personnel in Jammu and Kashmir, but was also a popular recruiter who lured Kashmiri youth to join militancy.
Jammu and Kashmir administration and Police have gone on high alert ahead of the first death anniversary of Hizbul commander Burhan Wani on July 8 as separatists and militant groups join hands to observe Wani's death anniversary and launch a recruitment drive on the occasion.
In Srinagar, restrictions have been imposed on movement of people in five police station areas, the officials said.
Sources said more than 200 additional companies of central forces have already arrived in the Valley to ensure there is no trouble this time.
Curfew was imposed in Tral, the native town of Wani, in Pulwama district as a precautionary measure to maintain peace in the valley, a senior police official said.
Around a dozen protesters were injured, one of them critically, when government forces fired pellet guns into a crowd of protesters in the town of Shopian in south Kashmir.
The separatist protest call coincides with that of Hizbul Mujahideen chief Syed Salahuddin, recently declared a global terrorist by the US. "It wasn t possible for me to visit my son s grave today", Muzzafar Wani told AFP by phone.
Photo and video posts related to the martyred freedom fighter Burhan Wani in held Kashmir have reportedly been removed from Facebook and YouTube. He said that from Indian ministers to generals, the language of force was being used to cow down the people of Kashmir.
In the capital Srinagar, tensions are palpable with almost all shops, educational institutions and business establishments shut while the movement of vehicular movement is minimal.
No pilgrim was allowed to move towards the valley from Jammu on Saturday as authorities said the ongoing Amarnath Yatra has been suspended for the day.
The disputed region has seen an explosion of protests against Indian rule since government forces shot and killed Wani a year ago.
According to reports, authorities put severe restrictions in sensitive areas of south Kashmir and other parts of the valley.
- Overwatch: Doomfist Revealed - Details, Abilities, and Origin Trailer
- North Korean crowds celebrate military milestone as G20 kicks off
- China cancels Xi-Modi meet at G20 summit amid border stand-off
- +220000 Jobs in June; Record 153168000 Employed
- Summit Midstream Partners, LP (NYSE:SMLP) Raised to Sell at BidaskClub
- Assault incident aboard Delta flight leaves three people injured
- Pistons rescind qualifying offer to Kentavious Caldwell-Pope
- Wimbledon 2017: Johanna Konta rejects 'favourite' tag
- Ivanka Trump sat in for her dad at a G20 meeting
- Game of Thrones episode synopses for July revealed