State police say Trooper Joel Davis responded to a call of shots fired shortly after 8 p.m. Sunday. Both on the field as a coach to many kids and behind the scenes.
Every police agency in Jefferson County followed their fallen colleague through Watertown and saluted his arrival at the funeral home.
Walters, 32, surrendered to authorities in his driveway.
It's unknown what, if anything, transpired between the two men.
"The vest itself has a ballistic plate in front of it".
Beach said that Davis has not given a statement to police and that a motive is not known. Then, Walters appeared in the driveway armed with a rifle.
The trooper exited his vehicle, saw Davis lying in a ditch and drew his weapon, police said. Walters' wife, 27-year-old Nichole Walters, also was found dead at the scene.
A third victim, Rebecca A. Finkle, was shot in her upper torso.
Justin Walters faces first and second degree murder charges. Walters didn't have a lawyer at the arraignment.
The accused killer, Walters, appeared in court on July 10. I love you joel davis. RIP.
"I do not, sir", Walters replied.
Davis' body received a law enforcement escort to the medical examiner's office in one heartbreaking scene. Friends say she was a devoted mom.
He confirmed Walters is an active service infantryman stationed at Fort Drum. Noncommissioned officers with his rank typically oversee a squad of fewer than a dozen soldiers in an infantry unit.
His career included two deployments to Afghanistan, post officials said. It is still unclear if Walters has appointed an attorney.
He is survived by three children and his grieving wife.
Before joining the New York State Troopers, he worked as a sheriff's deputy in Jefferson County, N.Y.
Reached by phone, Davis's wife said the family wasn't yet ready to talk about him in public. "We believe that the round entered the side of that and fatally injured the trooper", Beach said.
"It's not just the police who suffer a loss like this".
"This has a awful effect on everybody".
The Democratic governor also ordered that all flags at government buildings be flown at half-mast in Davis' honor.
- Most active Western Conference teams this offseason
- Western Canada wildfires prompt state of emergency and evacuations
- Firefighters Tackle Blaze at London's Famed Camden Market
- Donald Trump defends daughter Ivanka for taking his place at G20 meet
- Trump team met with Kremlin-connected lawyer during campaign
- Check Out This Cool STRANGER THINGS Season 2 Poster!
- Syracuse football quarterback Eric Dungey named to Maxwell Award Watch List
- Sikkim standoff: Army readies for a long haul
- Musk Shows Off First Tesla Model 3 on Twitter
- Trump, with Putin, predicts 'positive things' for US, Russia