This week saw Wiz Khalifa's hit See You Again take out the title of most-viewed YouTube video of all time, trumping Gangnam Style's impressive view count of 2.896 billion. With the release of recent music videos on YouTube, many are saying that the record will not stand at the top for a long time.
"See You Again" had 2.896 billion views as of this story's publication.
The song and the video are a tribute to the late Furious franchise star Paul Walker, who died during the filming of the seventh film.
Do you remember the hit 2012 South Korean track, Gangnam Style that was all the rage with its peppy, some called it rather outlandish, dance video?
Psy's song had been on top for the past five years, taking over from Justin Bieber's "Baby" in November 2012. However, its reign as YouTube's most-played video may end soon as there is another contender for the YouTube throne. It averaged over three million views per day, just this year alone. However, the video featuring South Korean pop star Psy's insane dancing skills has now been outnumbered by Wiz Khalifa and Charlie Puth's "See You Again". It broke Psy's record just days before the video's fifth-year anniversary on YouTube. According to him, he started uploading his videos on Youtube in 2007 hoping to gain only 10,000 views. Well, I'll say, "Sorry" here, because none of those songs can hold a candle to the awesomely hook-filled classic that is "Uptown Funk", by Mark Ronson and Bruno Mars, and which is in the No. 4 spot with 2.55 billion views. Walker died in a auto crash two years earlier, but appeared posthumously in Furious 7.
Another fun fact in today's news is how long See You Again has been watched.
Wiz Khalifa said in a statement he's happy the song has been able to "inspire and impact so many lives".
- England unchanged for second Test against South Africa at Trent Bridge
- Taylor Review: UK should end cash in hand economy
- Oculus Rift and Touch massively discounted to £399 in summer sale
- World stock markets cheered by healthy economy, dollar firm
- Citigroup Downgrades Rating On Kite Realty Group Trust (KRG)
- Syracuse football quarterback Eric Dungey named to Maxwell Award Watch List
- Lalu Prasad Yadav and his family raided by CBI over corruption charges
- India cannot subdue occupied Kashmir by force, says prime minister
- Donald Trump defends daughter Ivanka for taking his place at G20 meet
- Charlie Gard's Mom Says Trump, Pope Attention 'Saved' Him