Murray said: "I'm in the quarter-finals of Wimbledon".
A tearful Murray was beaten in four sets that day but has since triumphed twice, in 2013 and past year, with his hopes of a third success alive heading into Wednesday's quarter-finals.
The last time these two played at Wimbledon was in 2015, when Cilic won a marathon 7-6 (6), 6-4, 6-7 (2), 6-7 (3), 17-5.
Querrey, 29, who attended Thousand Oaks High, is the first American to advance to a Grand Slam men's semifinal since Andy Roddick in 2009.
"At the end I shocked myself on the serve I hit", Querrey told BBC Sport in a post-match interview. "I didn't start the best but I just kept swinging away and found my groove in the last two sets".
Sam Querrey celebrates match point and victory in his quarterfinal match against Andy Murray of Great Britain at the Wimbledon Lawn Tennis Championships at the All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club on July 12, 2017 in London.
In Friday's (Saturday NZT) semifinals, Querrey will face 2014 US Open champion Marin Cilic of Croatia, who also won a five-setter on Wednesday (Thursday NZT), getting past 16th-seeded Gilles Muller 3-6 7-6 (6) 7-5 5-7 6-1 with the help of 33 aces.
He has only won one title, in Dubai in February, but Novak Djokovic's retirement against Tomas Berdych means Murray will hang on to the world number one ranking for now. There's obviously an opportunity there. "It wasn't like I was, like, a million miles away from winning the match", Murray said. "I haven't really learned anything [from previous matches]".
Defending champion Andy Murray came to Wimbledon with a big cloud over his head, troubled with hip injury and without preparation matches or intense training. The end of the fourth set and fifth set, I felt like he hardly missed any first serves.
The defending Wimbledon champion was dumped out of the tournament this morning when beaten by American player Sam Querrey, and was asked about his opponent in the post-match press conference. I didn't start my best.
"I think it's going to be loud, noisy, but I expect Murray, although he may drop a set, to come through".
The match turned in the American's favor in the final two sets. Moving forward I'll be able to get through it.
"I'm not going to go into all the details of exactly what my hip issues are", said 30-year-old Murray.
Ahead of the last eight encounter with Querrey, Murray added: "I'll need to make sure I'm serving well and not letting him dictate too much".
- Multiple GOP senators claim that Obamacare replacement bill is probably dead
- Trump's voter fraud commission forced to pause data collection
- Wonder Woman May Be Set in the 80s, Bring Chris Pine Back
- USA police search Pennsylvania farmland for four missing men
- United and City looking to create El Classico in Manchester
- World stock markets cheered by healthy economy, dollar firm
- NY Trooper Shot And Killed In Jefferson County
- Klitschko faces must-win bout against Fury
- Trump accuses Comey of committing a felony by leaking classified information
- A Week After Legalization, Nevada Weed Dispensaries Are Already Sold Out