Tiemoue Bakayoko has sent the internet into meltdown over the last 24 hours ahead of an expected Chelsea medical. It makes the French worldwide the most expensive midfielder in Chelsea history, surpassing the previous record held by £32m N'Golo Kante.
Bakayoko celebrates his victor against Man City last season. His performances at Monaco saw him earn his first cap for the French national team while also being named in the 2016-17 Champions League's Squad of the Season.
Yet history suggests that when Chelsea splash out on a central midfielder, they generally know what they are doing.
The 28-year-old impressed alongside N'Golo Kante, with Cesc Fabregas providing a further option, and Neville is surprised to see Antonio Conte considering a sale. Landing him for £40m may yet prove a bargain.
Chelsea open the defence of their Premier League crown at home against Burnley on August 12.
At age 22, Chelsea are banking on continued improvement from Tiemoue Bakayoko.
At 6'1, the midfielder adds height to Chelsea's midfield as well as much needed physicality, which they lacked at times last season.
The 22-year-old Frenchman has been heavily linked with a switch to Stamford Bridge this transfer window, and Chelsea fans will surely feel encouraged by his latest Instagram post.
Ramires, signed from Benfica for £18m in the summer of 2010, has one of the more interesting Chelsea legacies.
Red Devils manager Jose Mourinho has already made one world-class signing in attack with Lukaku, and former Benfica star Victor Lindelof brings defensive reinforcement, leaving midfield as the only area yet to be addressed.
His second was a disaster.
But, Matic looks the most likely.
- Review of Plarium's Browser MMO Game Stormfall: Age of War
- First Western Capital Management Co Lowers Stake in Wells Fargo & Company
- Trump and Macron turn on the charm
- Most active Western Conference teams this offseason
- HighTower Advisors LLC Cuts Stake in Delta Air Lines, Inc. (DAL)
- Today Analysts Focus on Whiting Petroleum Corporation (WLL), Freeport-McMoRan Inc. (FCX)
- United and City looking to create El Classico in Manchester
- Anadarko Petroleum Corporation (NYSE:APC) Stocks Unloaded By Segall Bryant Hamill
- Tillerson leaves Gulf after crisis talks, no word on progress
- India vs New Zealand Live Streaming & Scores, Women's World Cup 2017