The lights are usually visible in the far northern and southern parts of the world, according to USA Today. We're pretty far south in Omaha which means we need a Kp rating of at least 7-8 in order to be able to see them. Electrically charged particles, from the sun, collide with gaseous particles in the earth's atmosphere.
If you look north overnight, you could catch a glimpse of the Northern Lights over West Michigan.
Aurora Borealis on display Sunday night in the northern US
The Northern Lights were visible early Sunday morning in northern Minnesota, and there's a chance they could be visible again Sunday night. This explosion produced what scientists call a "coronal mass ejection (CME)" and it is headed straight for our planet. A powerful geomagnetic storm shot out from the sun a couple of days ago and should reach the Earth by Sunday night. Often times, there ends up being a small window, which may be an hour or less, during the night where the lights are visible in rural areas of Minnesota. "You'll see a whitish glow it'll nearly look like clouds, and if it's dark enough and they're strong enough you'll start to see some of that green and red color", said Rapson. To get the best view, you'll probably want to get away from the city lights. The longer you stay outside the better.
According to Fox 8 Cleveland, the NOAA Space weather Prediction Center has announced that the Northern Lights may be visible "as low as NY to Wisconsin to Washington State". However, if the sky is clouded over - as is now forecast for much of southwestern Ontario - you'll be out of luck.
- HTC U11 Amazon Alexa App.
- Trump says he would invite Putin to White House, but not now
- Pennsylvania murders: Killer used pig roaster to burn bodies, official says
- Review of Plarium's Browser MMO Game Stormfall: Age of War
- United and City looking to create El Classico in Manchester
- Chinese President Xi 'Could Do a Little Bit More' on North Korea
- Can Atleti snatch La Liga's title away from Barca?
- Amazon to develop its own messaging app
- Bodies found buried on Pennsylvania farm
- Today Analysts Focus on Whiting Petroleum Corporation (WLL), Freeport-McMoRan Inc. (FCX)