Israel cancels Friday prayer at Al-Aqsa Mosque

Monday, 17 Jul, 2017

Hundreds of Muslim worshippers have visited a Jerusalem holy site after Israel reopened the compound following a rare closure in response to a deadly shooting last week. Visitors to the site must first pass through security checks with metal detector.

Muslim women protest in front of the Lion's Gate entrance to the Temple Mount, in Jerusalem's Old City, after metal detectors were placed there, July 16, 2017.

Police chased the attackers into the site and shot them dead. According to the Palestine Red Crescent Society (PRCS), 18 Palestinians sustained injuries. Police gave chase and killed the three assailants.

Earlier in the day, Kiswani told Voice of Palestine radio station the additional security measures were part of a "dangerous and unprecedented move" by Israeli authorities "to impose control over al-Aqsa Mosque".

The compound houses the Aqsa Mosque and the golden Dome of the Rock. On Friday Jordan called for the immediate reopening of the mosque.

The Tel Aviv regime has been trying to change the demographic makeup of Jerusalem al-Quds by constructing settlements, destroying historical sites and expelling the local Palestinian population. Israeli restrictions on Muslim entry have prompted rioting in Palestinian areas, and previous Israeli efforts taken in response to violence at the site have strained relations with Jordan.

Palestinians performed dawn prayers outside of the Al-Aqsa Mosque compound Monday to show their opposition to new repressive security measures by Israeli authorities at the mosque's entrances.

A number of attacks have occurred around Jerusalem's Old City in recent months, but they have often involved knives.

The two policemen killed were Israeli Arab citizens from the country's Druze community.

Meanwhile, Wisma Putra in a statement said that the action by the Israeli authorities was a violation of global laws and norms.

The site has proved a tinder-box in the Israeli-Palestinian conflict in the past.

Palestinians want East Jerusalem as the capital of a state they seek in the occupied West Bank and the Gaza Strip.

Their comments angered the Palestinians, with one of them throwing a bottle at the females. The agreement also stipulated that Israel would expand the area gradually up to 12 miles.

Israel's army claims the man allegedly attempted to open fire at them.