Monday's blast wrought carnage near the Arfa Software Technology Park on Ferozepur Road in Lahore, targeting police officials who were deployed to clear street vendors from the area, a police official said.
Lahore police chief Capt (Retd) Amin Wains confirmed that it was a suicide blast and the "target was police".
Ashraf said earlier it was believed earlier that the bomb was in a auto, but it discovered that the vehicle belonged to a police officer, among the eight officers killed.
Recently in the April, there were approximately six people were killed when a vehicle carrying government workers was targeted by a suicide attack in Lahore.
At least 49 others were injured, according to Punjabi province health minister Salman Rafique.
Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif expressed sorrow over the loss of precious lives.
Blast destroyed many families, but terrorists can never destroy our resolve.
DCO Ahmed further said that 39 people were also injured in the blast. Reportedly, Arfa Karim Towers was evacuated following the blast.
The city administration declared an emergency in hospitals and appealed for blood donations. "The condition of several injures is stated to be critical" Shahnaz said. Forensics teams had also collected evidence from the blast site to determine the nature of the explosion.
The attacker, a member of a group allied to the Pakistani Taliban, drove a motorbike into crowds before detonating an explosive device.
The residence of the Chief Minister Sharif is located about 100 metres from the site of the explosion.
Lahore has faced scores of terror attacks in recent years.
- Scaramucci says president won't have to pardon anyone
- Michael Phelps 'Raced' a 'Shark,' Kind Of. Not Really
- Netanyahu vows to return Israeli embassy official at center of Jordanian crisis
- Martial law extended in Philippines Mindanao
- Bridlington Man Wins $2.6m in Poker Final
- David de Gea to stay with Man United: Mourinho
- A glance at the second round of the British Open
- Jordan Spieth, Matt Kuchar, Brooks Koepka lead after Day 1
- 'Stranger Things 2' Promises Justice For Barb & One Insane Trailer
- Dead, 28 Hurt in Horrific San Antonio Smuggling Discovery