Tweeple were not pleased with Phelps racing a computer-generated simulation of the shark as they felt cheated given the build up of the race. He raced the shark who is usually 5 times faster than his speed, hence, the monofin.
Phelps tweeted on Sunday that he'd like a rematch, but in warmer water.
"Waited an hour for Michael Phelps to race a CGI shark".
But for practical reasons, the victor of 26 Olympic medals wasn't going to be able to actually swim alongside a shark.
But only by 2 seconds.
"I've always been fascinated by great whites, so I thought it would be fun to roll out our first-ever Great White Pizza special, along with nightly watch parties", Anthony's CEO John Le Bel said in a news release.
For the main event against the Great White Shark, Michael was defeated once again by only two seconds.
Other highlights of the week will include a shark vs crocodile fight over sea turtles and a "great hammerhead invasion". After all, the shark's average speed of 25 miles per hour was more than four times Phelps's own top speed in the pool.
- Shark Week (@SharkWeek) July 24, 2017Rematch?
Phelps could be consoled by the fact that he was more successful in a 50m practice run against a reef shark, which he completed in just 18.9 seconds.
- A glance at the second round of the British Open
- How Chelsea Could Line Up With Morata & Co
- Justin Thomas roasts Johnny Miller over Branden Grace's 62
- Dead, 28 Hurt in Horrific San Antonio Smuggling Discovery
- Hugh Freeze Made Phone Call To Number Tied To Escort Service
- Justine Damond's death may have been filmed
- Watch the scary, clown-filled first teaser for AHS: Cult
- Pokemon Go First Legendary, Lugia, Revealed
- Sean Spicer unlikely to disappear from television
- Solar Eclipse 2017: How to Take the Best Photos