Van Dijk left out of Southampton squad amid Liverpool rumours

Четверг, 27 Июл, 2017

Southampton had threatened to report Liverpool to the FA over their illegal talks with Van Dijk's representatives - a warning that forced Jurgen Klopp's side to confirm that they were no longer interested in the 26-year-old.

Liverpool target Virgil van Dijk will "never be the same" if he remains at Southampton, who will be facing a "bad situation" if they decide to keep their captain on the south coast, according to Peter Odemwingie.

It initially looked like the Dutch global would be heading to Liverpool but the Reds were forced to shelve their pursuit and issue a public apology after Southampton complained to the Premier League about an alleged illegal approach.

Southampton have omitted Virgil van Dijk from their 25-man squad to travel to Evian-les-Bains on Saturday, with the Dutch centre-back still training alone amid interest from Liverpool. As a result, The Reds could well be tempted to go after van Dijk yet again.

Having said that, Southampton have so far managed to retain most of their top players this transfer window and will certainly look to keep it that way.

And Adkins thinks Van Dijk still has to remember he is under contract with Saints and remain professional.

The Dutch defender had his head turned by Liverpool's offer and is now training separately at Southampton.

'When I was talking with him, the boy said that he is not available to play because he wants to leave.

"He's been ill-advised. A move to Liverpool would just be a pay day, it wouldn't be for trophies or accolades".

With five years now remaining on the deal Southampton are likely to command a huge offer if they were to let the Holland global depart St. Mary's this summer.