Gandhinagar: BJP chief Amit Shah, union minister Smriti Irani and newly inducted former Congress MLA Balwantsinh Rajput, who resigned Thursday and joined the saffron party, filed their nomination papers for the upcoming Rajya Sabha polls on Friday.
Their names were announced by senior party leader J P Nadda after the meeting of the party panel.
"Not only a national role other than handling the party, the Rajya Sabha also means that Amit Shah would be involved in key decision making process of the government".
The terms of nine Rajya Sabha members from Gujarat and West Bengal are ending on August 18. She was made the Union textile minister in 2016. It had happened when the post fell vacant after Venkaiah Naidu was announced as the Vice presidential candidate.
As per the programme, Mr Shah is expected to meet Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath and his ministerial colleagues on the first day of his visit and later will meet the district presidents, state executive committee members, and chiefs of different cells on the next two days. However, BJP is keep to defeat him this time and is working on strategies to pull him down. Shah and Irani are set to romp home easily and the BJP may queer the pitch for Patel with its additional votes. The outgoing MPs are Ahmed Patel (Congress), Dilipbhai Pandya and Smriti Irani ( both BJP) from Gujarat and Derek O'Brien, Debabrata Bandhopadhyay, Sukhenduhakhar Roy and Dola Sen (all TMC), Pradip Bhattacharya (Congress) and Sitaram Yechury (CPI (M)) from West Bengal.
- Health Care Future Outlook
- India face selection 'dilemma' after massive Sri Lanka win
- Showdown looms in crisis-hit Venezuela
- Terminally ill baby Charlie Gard dies in hospice
- Jones calls out Lesnar after conquering Cormier
- Branson Sells Stake in Virgin Atlantic in Broader Tie-Up
- Pa., NJ and Del. senators react to health care vote
- Sharif Names Own Brother as Next Prime Minister
- Review of Plarium's Browser MMO Game Stormfall: Age of War
- Best ways to make your website stand out from the rest