The hack of HBO was first revealed July 31 when hackers claimed to have stolen data from the company including upcoming episodes of television programs and a script for a future episode of the hit show "Game of Thrones".
The new 2017 hack, done by an anonymous person using the moniker "Little.Finger66", also included the theft of thousands of internal documents. While initial reports indicated that full episodes of "Ballers" and "Insecure" had been stolen, it appears now as though hackers also got their hands on a new "Game of Thrones" episode as well.
The WinterLeak website contains numerous references to Game of Thrones, undoubtedly one of HBO's biggest properties.
HBO will strive to get as many streaming links and torrents of the episode removed as possible, but the internet is the internet and more will inevitably and continually pop-up ahead of Sunday's official, legal broadcast. Reports noted that the hackers threatened to release more content from the cable network on Sunday, Aug. 6, before "Spoils of War" debuts.
Game of Thrones season 7 began with a bang and is already halfway through.
"Too many users have viewed or downloaded this file recently".
We've reached out to HBO for comment on the reported leak, and will update this post if we hear back. It's unclear what they want in return, but it's likely that the hackers were not just fishing for Game of Thrones episodes and other unreleased original HBO TV shows. Sunday's episode, however, sets a record for the shortest episode yet, coming in at only 50 minutes in length.
In a memo to staffers Wednesday, HBO chief Richard Plepler said the hackers did not compromise the programmer's e-mail system "as a whole" but added that "the forensic review is ongoing".
- Trump Administration to Challenge Colleges' Affirmative Action Policies
- Tesla earnings on tap, place bets accordingly — TODAY'S CHARTS
- Toyota and Mazda team up for $1.6bn electric vehicle factory
- Uproar over tax raid on Karnataka minister's resort
- Critics: Trump's Crafting of Response to Russia Meeting Is 'Obstruction of Justice'
- Stop making territorial claims on Bhutan's behalf: China tells India
- Kenyan IT Head That Led Computerizing Election Found Dead
- Scaramucci's 250 hours of drama in White House
- Deadly Shootout At Moscow Court Leaves Three Dead
- Trump, GOP Senators Champion Bill to Cut Legal Immigration Levels