Condemning the attack on Congress Vice President, former Prime Minister Dr Manmohan Singh said, "Political violence has no place in a functioning democracy".
"Won't step back because of black flags, Narendra Modi slogans or stones", he added further.
"Gujarat government has no right to remain in power if it cannot protect a leader like Rahul Gandhi".
Reacting on Twitter, Congress spokesperson RS Surjewala said it was "disgusting and disgraceful" that Rahul Gandhi's vehicle attacked by "BJP goons" in Banskantha of Guajart.
Rahul who is likely to arrive in the State on August 4 will tour flood-hit areas of Dhanera and Thara in Banaskantha.
Congress vice-president Rahul Gandhi on Thursday met Assam flood victims in Lakhimpur region, the worst affected of the 29 districts in the state, and took stock of the relief and rehabilitation measures. Allowing such attack on Rahul Gandhi's vehicle. The ones who are scared are the ones who do not want to see the truth, or acknowledge it, we are not scared by such cowards' attempts. Stone pelters even smashed several vehicle windows of Rahul's convoy, with Rahul's auto having its rear window shattered.
The BJP, however, said it was an unfortunate incident and the party had no role to play in it. If any incident has happened it is unfortunate.
Extolling the BJP, Shah said with BJP coming to power the country has moved towards development.
Black flags were also waved at Rahul Gandhi when he visited the agricultural produce market committee to meet the flood victims.
With most of its MLAs away, party heavyweight and RS polls candidate Ahmed Patel along with Gujarat Congress president Bharatsinh Solanki have already visited the otherwise drought-prone region.
Congress spokesperson Abhishek Manu Singhvi said that as Rahul Gandhi was surveying the area, BJP goons attacked his convoy with cement bricks shattering the glass.
- Sales tax free weekend in Virginia is August 4
- Cricket pay deal lauded as biggest pay rise in women's sport
- Talent Not an Issue for England's New Manager
- Smart money points to Trump charge
- Game of Thrones episode leaked from Star India
- Klitschko faces must-win bout against Fury
- Trump son's statement on Russia lawyer meeting was 'true': White House
- Review of Plarium's Browser MMO Game Stormfall: Age of War
- Stop making territorial claims on Bhutan's behalf: China tells India
- Jon Snow finally meets Daenerys