Bomb thrown through mosque window in US

Monday, 07 Aug, 2017

The bomb went off around 5 a.m. on Saturday while roughly 20 people were gathered at the Dar Al-Farooq Islamic Center for morning prayers. However, the building sustained damage to its front, and photographs from the scene showed a large shattered window, singed blinds and charring around the outside, the New York Times reported.

The FBI is conducting an investigation into the blast. Thankfully, no one was injured, only a few rooms were damaged. "Every other American should be insulted by this", he told the Tribune.

In an investigation involving the FBI and the office for control over turnover of alcohol, tobacco, firearms and explosives (ATF). "And so we stand with you, a million Protestants in Minnesota".

Mohamed Omar, executive director of the center, said something came through an office window during morning prayers and set off sprinklers in a ball of fire.

Authorities have not yet called the incident a hate crime, but worshippers say they feel attacked.

Imam Waleed Meneese at Dar Al-Farooq Islamic Center speaks to media on the day after an explosion in his office.

Yasir Abdalrahman, a worshipper at the mosque, said the explosion was "unimaginable".

"At this point our focus is to determine who and why", FBI Special Agent Rick Thornton said in a press conference.

In response to the spike in hate crimes, CAIR recently launched an app to share critical "know your rights" information and to simplify the process to report hate crimes and bias incidents. The Muslim American Society has offered a reward of $10,000 for information leading to the arrest and conviction of those responsible.

CAIR is asking American Muslims and Islamic institutions nationwide to take extra security precautions and is offering Muslim community leaders free copies of its booklet, "Best Practices for Mosque and Community Safety".

"Every place of worship, for all Minnesotans of every faith and culture, must be sacred and safe".

The US Department of Homeland Security issued a news release saying that acting DHS Secretary Elaine Duke has been informed of the explosion and was "in close contact" with all the relevant officials as the investigation continues. We are thankful there were no injuries, but that does not diminish the serious nature of this act.