Gandhi escaped unhurt after stones were pelted at his vehicle on Friday, when he was visiting the flood-affected areas in Banaskantha. Echoing the statement of Gandhi, the protestors blamed BJP and RSS for the attack.
While reacting on attack on Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's convoy in Gujarat, Chidambaram tweeted, "Abuse, false charges, suppression of protests and now violence: nevertheless, BJP will not succeed in making Congress-mukt Bharat".
Talking to reporters, he asserted that a BJP worker flung stones at his convoy which had hit his PSO. "This is the style of politics of Modiji, BJP and the RSS (Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh)", Rahul Gandhi said outside Parliament House.
"The attack on Rahul Gandhi is most shameful and deserves to be condemned in strongest terms". Some of them went on a night-long dharna condemning the incident and demanding immediate arrest of the perpetrators. Our job is to defeat them in elections and not pelting stone. The Congress has alleged that three individuals linked to the Bharatiya Janata Party - Bhagwandas Patel, Mor Singh Rao and Mukesh Thakkar- were among those involved in the attack. "Democratic rights of a political party can not be cowed down violence".
"The attack on Rahul Gandhi is very controversial".
"It is not our government in Delhi or Gujarat, but we are standing here with you, I am standing here with you and we won't back down due to a few black flags", he said. "We will put in all our might into the service of people". "The BJP government must be held responsible for the attacks" he added.
Banaskantha is represented by six Congress legislators who have been flown by the Congress to a resort in Bengaluru to protect them from being poached before the Rajya Sabha polls.
- Most active Western Conference teams this offseason
- United and City looking to create El Classico in Manchester
- Talent Not an Issue for England's New Manager
- Trump Mocks Russia Investigation While in West Virginia: 'A Total Fabrication'
- Rahul Gandhi's auto attacked in Gujarat, SPG commando injured
- England opt to bat in 4th Sth African Test
- Jay Cutler Unlikely to Join Miami Dolphins
- Maduro says country facing 'armed insurgency,' thrashes chief prosecutor
- NBC5 Forecast: Hot & Sunny with Only Slight Rain Chances for Now
- Defoe strengthens Euros case