The deal is for one year and $10 million, plus incentives, according to ESPN's Adam Schefter.
Cutler's signing comes about with Dolphins starter Ryan Tannehill re-injuring his knee after an offseason of rehab and stem cell treatment.
Cutler, who retired from football earlier this year and took a broadcasting job with Fox, will likely replace Ryan Tannehill as the starting quarterback for the Dolphins.
He indicated he would consider a return to the league if the situation was right. Gase was Cutler's offensive coordinator for much of the QB's time in Chicago, and the two apparently have a good relationship. That includes a base salary of $5 million. Nearly immediately after Tannehill reinjured his knee, Dolphins head coach Adam Gase began coaxing Cutler out of retirement.
The reason Cutler was Miami's choice over all other available quarterbacks is because of his and Gase's familiarity. The 34-year-old quarterback with a proclivity for turnovers has thrown for 32,467 yards, 208 touchdowns, 146 interceptions with 38 lost fumbles over his 11-year career.
It is important to note that Cutler is coming of a severe injury as he missed the last six games of last season after suffering a torn labrum in his throwing arm that required season ending surgery.
Cutler was originally supposed to broadcast games for Fox this season, including a preseason Bears game against the Titans. "So it was a surprise, and I think he has a lot of things to think through".
As for Cutler, he enjoyed his best pro season while working under Gase.
On Sunday, former Chicago Bears quarterback #Jay Cutler finally found a new team.
Should Tannehill be sidelined, Matt Moore would step into the starting role barring any signings from outside of the organisation. But Darlington indicated that Gase is pretty convincing if need be and could sway Cutler to South Florida at the end of the day.
- Aamir Khan's Secret Superstar trailer OUT
- Special counsel Robert Mueller impanels grand jury as Trump-Russia investigation accelerates
- Karnataka CM hits out at Modi govt after raids on Shivakumar
- NBC5 Forecast: Hot & Sunny with Only Slight Rain Chances for Now
- Maduro says country facing 'armed insurgency,' thrashes chief prosecutor
- Iran's Rouhani pledges to continue missile programme as he begins new term
- Jon Snow finally meets Daenerys
- Robert Pattinson shares a wild story
- Coordinating with Bhutan on Dokalam issue
- US Economy Adds 209000 Jobs In July; Unemployment Dips To 4.3 Percent