U.S. News considered 4,658 hospitals for its 2017-18 data-driven rankings, and narrowed that pool to 1,896 hospitals that met the ranking requirements and standards.
To be nationally ranked in a specialty, a hospital must excel in caring for the sickest, most medically complex patients. "The top 20 hospitals that were highlighted on this year's Honor Roll have delivered outstanding care and offer deep expertise spanning multiple specialties".
Mayo Clinic finished with 415 points, which is 50 points higher than Cleveland Clinic which was second. Across the 16 specialties, 152 hospitals performed well enough to be nationally ranked in at least one specialty.
In addition to quality measures, U.S. News also rates hospitals based on reputation, which is one of the biggest criticisms of the report.
A new report on hospital rankings has been released, and two Mercy Health hospitals in Mahoning county are listed among the top facilities in the state.
For more information, visit the U.S. News Best Hospitals website.
The top hospital on the list was Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota, followed by Cleveland Clinic, Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore, Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston and UCSF Medical Center in San Francisco.
For example, the federal Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services, in its most recent ratings, rated Rush University Medical Center more highly than Northwestern Memorial Hospital, awarding Rush four stars and Northwestern three.
"A change in performance over time doesn't necessarily reflect a change in a hospital's quality of care", he said.
The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center has retained its distinction as the No. 1 cancer hospital in the country. Spectrum Health-Butterworth and Blodgett Hospitals in Grand Rapids came in at No. 3 in the state rankings. Only eight hospitals in this state were ranked this year. The hospital's daily census has been near capacity for years, and it has been battling a nursing shortage - relying on hundreds of traveling nurses to fill the gaps.
Loyola also was rated High Performing in seven common inpatient conditions and procedures: abdominal aortic aneurysm fix, aortic valve surgery, heart bypass surgery, heart failure, colon cancer surgery, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) and lung cancer surgery.
We are all very proud of the excellent work and dedication of our more than 5,000 nurses in caring for our patients and providing leadership in all of our important initiatives, said Margaret Calarco, Ph.D., R.N., N.E.A. -B.C., chief nurse executive.
- Christie says Mueller is being 'responsible' in Russian Federation inquiry
- Balotelli returns home as Nice faces Napoli in UCL playoffs
- Josh Brolin is revealed as Cable in the new Deadpool movie
- Mo Farah Takes on the London Track One Last Time
- August Alsina's Name Is Being Mixed Into Usher's Alleged Herpes Scandal
- Tropical Storm Franklin could become hurricane before Mexican landfall
- United and City looking to create El Classico in Manchester
- ANC to march in KwaDukuza tomorrow in support of Zuma
- Shivakumar apologizes for his mother's statement accusing Siddaramaiah over IT raids
- Wembley test for Chelsea, Arsenal after tough offseason