The long-discussed Ezekiel Elliott investigation finally came to an (initial) conclusion Friday when the National Football League announced the Cowboys star running back would be suspended for six games for domestic violence. The Chiefs will be the second game Elliot suits up for after opening against the Washington Redskins in Week 8.
One league source characterized an Elliott suspension as "definite".
The NFL released a statement shortly after Schefter's report saying it interviewed more than a dozen witnesses and consulted medical experts. He is eligible to participate in all preseason practices and games.
Dallas' trip to play San Francisco is its sixth game of the year (and the 49ers' seventh), leaving a chance he's available to play if he appeals and the suspension is shortened.
The investigation began when Columbus police responded to an apartment complex after the woman, who told police that she was Elliott's former live-in girlfriend, reported an assault in a 911 call.
USA TODAY Sports does not identify alleged victims of domestic violence.
The NFL disagreed. Elliott is the third Cowboys player who will miss time this season because of a suspension. Elliott's case has been under review for almost 13 months.
The woman told police Elliott abused her on five separate occasions from July 17-22, 2016, according to the Columbus (Ohio) City Attorney's Office. Elliott will not be allowed into the Cowboys' training complex from the first week of the regular season until the suspension is complete.
The NFL has long had a clear policy regarding the punishment for drug violations, but there was inconsistency surrounding the punishments for other offenses. However, nothing as serious as a domestic violence allegation.
The schedule doesn't do the Cowboys any favors during the first six games of the season.
Elliott also pulled down a woman's shirt to expose her breasts while on a rooftop at a St. Patrick's Day parade in Dallas, and missed some of OTAs in May after he was the passenger in a vehicle accident.
- Leaked government document 'directly contradicts' Trump on climate change
- North Korea releases jailed Canadian pastor on humanitarian grounds
- My wish is Khaqan remains PM till 2018, says Nawaz
- Why did Nawaz Sharif's convoy speed off ahead of the rally?
- 700000 eggs linked to Europe contamination scare reached Britain
- August 7 full moon precedes much-anticipated solar eclipse
- Chester Bennington's wife to decide if Carpool Karaoke episode will go ahead
- Britney Spears Bum-Rushed Onstage 'He's Got a Gun?!'
- Here's How Much Money Kylie Jenner Made Before She Turned 20
- Chris Pratt, Anna Faris announce separation